GAP and Walmart

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

GAP and Walmart

Post by SamSpade »

Walmart has apparently partnered with GAP Inc for a home collection. Who would've thought?
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: GAP and Walmart

Post by babs »

Just a matter of time before Gap clothes appear at Walmart. The chain is close to being done. Having the brand at Walmart isn't resurrecting the brand, it's a fundamental change in direction.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am not sure how interested the Wal Mart customer will be in GAP products. Then again I wasn't sure how interested the Kmart customer would be in Joe Boxer products and that lasted in Kmart up until 2021- almost a 20 year run. Will be interesting to see if that brand goes anywhere.

GAP has made itself largely irrelevant as it is. Here in Reno, the only GAP is an outlet store over in Sparks. GAP was previously present in the mall in Reno as well as out in South Reno at the Dillards center out there, with multiple concepts in the past (kid, baby, etc.).
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Joe Boxer didn't have the history or semi-iconic status that GAP has had--they really could do in their brand by partnering with Walmart. There are enough mall shoppers who go to WM to notice. GAP has held on longer than I expected in the DC area with a variety of locations (downtown, upscale suburb, not so upscale suburb, outlets in the outer areas). OTOH, they got some headlines last fall for being sued by a landlord for back rent in one of their DC locations.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

babs wrote: June 27th, 2021, 2:46 pm Just a matter of time before Gap clothes appear at Walmart. The chain is close to being done. Having the brand at Walmart isn't resurrecting the brand, it's a fundamental change in direction.
And that direction is not good!

:cry:
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

babs wrote: June 27th, 2021, 2:46 pm Just a matter of time before Gap clothes appear at Walmart. The chain is close to being done. Having the brand at Walmart isn't resurrecting the brand, it's a fundamental change in direction.
It's pretty amazing that GAP made it out of the 1990's as it is.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I don't think I've been in an actual Gap store in many years, only a Gap Outlet. That said, as far as retail sales go it seems like there are a lot more Old Navy stores than actual Gap stores now.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

A cheapened version of Gap clothes are now at Sam's Club:
https://www.samsclub.com/b/apparel-prom ... _shelf_0_1

Gap has now jumped the shark. This pretty much tells me they are getting out of retailing in their own stores and will be selling at other retailers.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Now there are Banana Republic branded clothing items at Costco. Looks cheap and poorly made. Gap must be desperate.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

babs wrote: September 5th, 2021, 4:04 pm Now there are Banana Republic branded clothing items at Costco. Looks cheap and poorly made. Gap must be desperate.
Not necessarily. Costco is well known to source clothing from grey-market sources, and has been sued by product manufacturers for doing so in the past (notably by Omega Watches in 2010 in a lawsuit that was ultimately won by Costco.) It's also not unusual for said clothing to be factory seconds or overruns (the type of thing that might end up in factory outlet stores.) Here's an article about this:

https://www.mashed.com/165789/how-costc ... cted-item/

I know in the past I've bought Lucky Jeans from Costco, and it's not uncommon to see brands like Tommy Hilfiger or Polo show up on occasion as well.