Target closing on Thanksgiving

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Target closing on Thanksgiving

Post by cjd »

Super S wrote: November 24th, 2021, 9:39 am
storewanderer wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 11:03 pm Also says this is going to be forever.

Over on other employee message boards, various Target employees are noting they are scheduled until 11:59 PM on Wednesday night, then due back in at 12:01 AM on Friday morning. So yes, technically off Thanksgiving.

I was thinking it is a good way to get out of paying holiday pay (past Thanksgivings I went into Target, the place was way overstaffed in the evening) but it appears those who work that 12:01 AM shift Friday morning will get the time and a half.
I am not sure how early Target opens on Black Friday these days, but I will say that in the early 1990s that the store opened to a mob of 250-300 people early, either 6AM or 7AM (at the time regular hours were 9-9) Staffing early to get the store ready for the rush is somewhat justified.

Ironically, one of the first big box stores to open on Thanksgiving (sometime during the 1990s) was Kmart, they were often the only big box open back in the day.
Wow, I did not realize Black Friday rush was a thing in the early 1990s. I only recall seeing it on the news after circa 2000, maybe a bit later, and I really seem to remember it reaching it's peak around 2007/08ish. Of course I was not old enough to care about shopping or sales back in the 1990s, I was only a toddler then.

So how far back does Black Friday craziness go? I know the Christmas shopping season generally has always started the day after Thanksgiving, but I didn't realize the huge sales and crazy mobs were something that went back that far.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Black Friday as a sale day and early openings goes back to the 80s, but people lining up at stores the day after Thanksgiving goes back much further---there probably was a time when it really was the biggest trading day of the season (later it was usually the first weekend in December). The media has covered the day after Thanksgiving and all the crowds for as long as I can remember--usually local more than national. It's usually a slow news day. The pushing and fighting at Walmarts made it more of a national news story.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

After some people were trampled and killed on Black Friday morning trying to get into a store at opening, Walmart started opening up all night at all of their stores before Black Friday. This was so that there would not be a big rush since they were open all night.

Now Walmart has Black Friday deals online and sale prices 4 hours earlier for people with Walmart Plus.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Target app was sending me notifications all day yesterday and today. I have no clue what it was doing- I was nowhere near a Target Store. I may have sped past a few on freeways at full speed. I received notifications reminding me to stop by, to some one day sale on women's clothing (one day sale- is this Macy's?), and I don't even know what other completely irrelevant offers they were trying to notify me about. I wonder if their traffic was way down or something...

Normally many weeks this app doesn't even send me one notification.