Signs of trouble at Target?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Signs of trouble at Target?

Post by storewanderer »

Target has been very positive about the prospects of its small stores. They are saying these small stores will be a major expansion vehicle for them.

I suppose in some cases they will work out but I still don't really know about these small stores. I have never seen one that is doing any more business than a slow CVS or Rite Aid (one cashier, not even steady business). Out of stocks and product mix are always a challenge in a small store. I guess they can serve as a "site to store" pick up location but I learned lately that Target actually packs most online orders up from physical Target Stores and mails them out and gives the "area" store credit for the sale, they do pull some items from warehouses but many pull from physical stores and ship out from stores.

There was a lot of speculation about a Target/CVS merger after the pharmacy deal took place. So far nothing more has come of it. No joint merchandising, etc. I do think Target could run CVS front ends better than CVS does- given the much larger product mix at Target's disposal.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Target has announced they intend to open a store by (presumably) demolishing the current closed kmart store in the Jackson, Wyo. community. However, at the article's square footage, I am surprised. Last I knew, Teton County capped 'box' development at 50,000 SF and smaller.

I guess everyone's always willing to bend for Target Corporation...
https://localnews8.com/news/local-news/ ... son-store/
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

SamSpade wrote: September 4th, 2020, 3:45 pm Target has announced they intend to open a store by (presumably) demolishing the current closed kmart store in the Jackson, Wyo. community. However, at the article's square footage, I am surprised. Last I knew, Teton County capped 'box' development at 50,000 SF and smaller.

It doesn't seem to say anything about demolishing the building.

Would seem more likely that they'd reuse the existing one, since it is much harder to deny something new going into an existing one than a totally new building.

Very similar to how several chains got started in VT, re-occupying existing stores (even combining two stores into one as needed or opening a store like Walmart at around 55,000 Sq. Ft. by using a former 5&10).
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

BillyGr wrote: September 4th, 2020, 4:44 pm Very similar to how several chains got started in VT, re-occupying existing stores (even combining two stores into one as needed or opening a store like Walmart at around 55,000 Sq. Ft. by using a former 5&10).
And the Walmart in Rutland VT. It is in a former Kmart from when Kmart moved out to a new store at the local mall.
Super S

Post by Super S »

BillyGr wrote: September 4th, 2020, 4:44 pm
SamSpade wrote: September 4th, 2020, 3:45 pm Target has announced they intend to open a store by (presumably) demolishing the current closed kmart store in the Jackson, Wyo. community. However, at the article's square footage, I am surprised. Last I knew, Teton County capped 'box' development at 50,000 SF and smaller.

It doesn't seem to say anything about demolishing the building.

Would seem more likely that they'd reuse the existing one, since it is much harder to deny something new going into an existing one than a totally new building.

Very similar to how several chains got started in VT, re-occupying existing stores (even combining two stores into one as needed or opening a store like Walmart at around 55,000 Sq. Ft. by using a former 5&10).
The existing building is just under 70K square feet, so it sounds more like this will be remodeled. I hope they will retain an appearance similar to what they have now, a "modern" Target building would look a bit out of place in Jackson.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: June 27th, 2020, 9:50 pm Target has been very positive about the prospects of its small stores. They are saying these small stores will be a major expansion vehicle for them.

I suppose in some cases they will work out but I still don't really know about these small stores. I have never seen one that is doing any more business than a slow CVS or Rite Aid (one cashier, not even steady business). Out of stocks and product mix are always a challenge in a small store. I guess they can serve as a "site to store" pick up location but I learned lately that Target actually packs most online orders up from physical Target Stores and mails them out and gives the "area" store credit for the sale, they do pull some items from warehouses but many pull from physical stores and ship out from stores....
Stop by the mini-Target in Phoenix at Camelback and 16th Street. The place is usually hopping, even in the evening. It is in a former Albertsons-turned-Sports Authority.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Seems like Wal Mart would have been a better fit for Jackson as it would have more closely replaced the categories that Kmart left behind but Target is certainly better than a vacant building and will cover many of the bases Kmart left behind.

Target seems to be actively looking at these former Kmarts that closed in 2018-present. They refilled one in Placerville, CA as well, it just grand opened. It will be interesting to see how many of the remaining still open Kmarts they will take; I expect a few.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: September 5th, 2020, 11:29 pm Seems like Wal Mart would have been a better fit for Jackson as it would have more closely replaced the categories that Kmart left behind but Target is certainly better than a vacant building and will cover many of the bases Kmart left behind.

Target seems to be actively looking at these former Kmarts that closed in 2018-present. They refilled one in Placerville, CA as well, it just grand opened. It will be interesting to see how many of the remaining still open Kmarts they will take; I expect a few.
I have to agree that Walmart would seem like a better fit as they are more hardlines oriented. Many localities do what they can to block Walmart while they will welcome Target with open arms, I am not sure if that was the case here though.

I do know they are looking at a few vacant Shopko locations as well. Target seems to prefer new buildings but has been known to get very creative in some locations with existing buildings.
pegers

Post by pegers »

The anomalies at my local Kelso, WA Target raised concerns during my visit. The service desk's relocation to express lanes with lights turned off appeared unusual, prompting speculation about potential business challenges. The store's outdated features, including older lighting fixtures and colored neon, contrast with modernized counterparts in neighboring areas. Nearby competition from two Walmart Supercenters, a Fred Meyer, and a Safeway, combined with the Three Rivers Mall's struggles, further complicate the situation. Questions about a delayed remodel, possibly due to declining business, potential mall redevelopment, or even store closure, arose. Despite a 2002-2003 remodel, the store's overall dated appearance and peculiar service desk setup fueled uncertainty about its future.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

pegers wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:33 pm The anomalies at my local Kelso, WA Target raised concerns during my visit. The service desk's relocation to express lanes with lights turned off appeared unusual, prompting speculation about potential business challenges. The store's outdated features, including older lighting fixtures and colored neon, contrast with modernized counterparts in neighboring areas. Nearby competition from two Walmart Supercenters, a Fred Meyer, and a Safeway, combined with the Three Rivers Mall's struggles, further complicate the situation. Questions about a delayed remodel, possibly due to declining business, potential mall redevelopment, or even store closure, arose. Despite a 2002-2003 remodel, the store's overall dated appearance and peculiar service desk setup fueled uncertainty about its future.
I believe we have a Kelso resident who posts regularly here who may know more about that area?

Target holds off maintenance and remodel work on stores intentionally when there are questions about their future. This is more complicated than it sounds. For example they have no problem remodeling a store where the lease might be up at the end of the decade, but if they own a building that might be in the path of redevelopment at an undefined point in the future they will hold off everything except basic repairs and maintenance. As soon as they know their situation more definitively they will quickly get the store cleaned up even if they know it will close eventually; the remaining lifetime of the store will factor into the amount they spend to remodel the store.

A good example is Garden Grove, CA on Harbor Blvd about 2 miles south of Disneyland. The difference is that is a very high volume, busy store that was threatened with removal and replacement with resort hotels by the city for a decade, and as a result it also fell into a time warp of colored neon, dim lights and poor maintenance. But as soon as the state shut down redevelopment agencies and the resort hotel plans evaporated, Target knew the store was safe and they both expanded into the vacant OfficeMax space next door and performed a massive remodel. Since then they have done several additional remodels to expand into part of the former Garden Center space, redo the exterior, and even converted it to a two-entrance layout to better accommodate the parking configuration.

So there must be some questions about redevelopment that Target finds to be unresolved, and because of that they are not updating the Kelso store. But I do not believe business results themselves are the reason, there must be some external factors that give them pause.