Signs of trouble at Target?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Signs of trouble at Target?

Post by mbz321 »

Pizza Hut always felt like a weird fit for Target....at least in my region, Pizza Hut is pretty 'trashy' on the same level of McDonald's...definitely doens't fit with Target's more upscale/'healthy' vibe. I can only think of one local Target that has a Pizza Hut (or had, it's been a while) and I never remember seeing anyone over there.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

mbz321 wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 11:19 am Pizza Hut always felt like a weird fit for Target....at least in my region, Pizza Hut is pretty 'trashy' on the same level of McDonald's...definitely doens't fit with Target's more upscale/'healthy' vibe. I can only think of one local Target that has a Pizza Hut (or had, it's been a while) and I never remember seeing anyone over there.
Agree 100%. It always surprised me they did't parter with another chain or with someone like Wolfgang Puck who has their own line of grocery products.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

mbz321 wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 11:19 am Pizza Hut always felt like a weird fit for Target....at least in my region, Pizza Hut is pretty 'trashy' on the same level of McDonald's...definitely doens't fit with Target's more upscale/'healthy' vibe. I can only think of one local Target that has a Pizza Hut (or had, it's been a while) and I never remember seeing anyone over there.
To be honest I've never thought of Target's connection to Pizza Hut in that sort of manner. While PHE has some decent offerings they are probably a notch above the actual PH stores in terms of brand appeal. When you look at it, Pizza Hut Express is actually a decent complement to their original Food Avenue items (popcorn, soda, hot dogs etc.).

Disparity can be more evident within Target's current ideas, however. Starbucks isn't any really healthy place though it seems to fit the new aesthetic and current guest base.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BatteryMill wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 6:18 pm
To be honest I've never thought of Target's connection to Pizza Hut in that sort of manner. While PHE has some decent offerings they are probably a notch above the actual PH stores in terms of brand appeal. When you look at it, Pizza Hut Express is actually a decent complement to their original Food Avenue items (popcorn, soda, hot dogs etc.).

Disparity can be more evident within Target's current ideas, however. Starbucks isn't any really healthy place though it seems to fit the new aesthetic and current guest base.
Pizza Hut Express is more of a family friendly concept. You can easily buy a number of options for kids there, or the popcorn, or icees, etc. Starbucks is not really family friendly, has limited kid offerings, and has struggled with food offerings over the years. I agree that Starbucks definitely better fits the "image" Target wants to portray. And it is probably a lot more profitable and easier to run, too.

Recall at the time Target got involved with Pizza Hut Express, Kmart was heavily involved with Little Caesars. I do think generally speaking the Pizza Hut product is perceived (and definitely priced...) as being a step above Little Caesars. Personally I don't think the "quality" and I use that phrase lightly, between the two is remarkably different.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

storewanderer wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 6:33 pm Pizza Hut Express is more of a family friendly concept. You can easily buy a number of options for kids there, or the popcorn, or icees, etc. Starbucks is not really family friendly, has limited kid offerings, and has struggled with food offerings over the years. I agree that Starbucks definitely better fits the "image" Target wants to portray. And it is probably a lot more profitable and easier to run, too.

Recall at the time Target got involved with Pizza Hut Express, Kmart was heavily involved with Little Caesars. I do think generally speaking the Pizza Hut product is perceived (and definitely priced...) as being a step above Little Caesars. Personally I don't think the "quality" and I use that phrase lightly, between the two is remarkably different.
That's the point of PHE and their Food Avenue options as a whole. While it's Target's loss to those guests, at least they are still reeling in customers from Starbucks which is a more popular option nevertheless. Even then it does sometimes make me question how Target is positioning their stores in the suburbs.
However, as I've said before they are introducing a "Snack Bar" with some of their remodels - though the options are still stark compared to what their food service has. That seems to still service guests who enjoy Food Avenue though without some of the management's woes with a full-service cafeteria.

Not really sure what timeframe that would be exactly. Pizza Hut Express started appearing in Target around the mid-late 1990s, when they also introduced what was known as "Food Avenue Express"/"Skedaddles" :lol:
Taco Bell also pitched in at that time, though I believe that concept is long gone from their stores. They didn't gain traction until a FA/PHE/Sbux combo became set for Target for a while.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Not sure this indicates trouble, but I visited the Kelso Target store yesterday and noticed a large number of cheap-looking displays sitting right in the middle of the front "racetrack" aisle. This was a huge no-no at Target at one point. Target for years kept this aisle wide open, for a clean and uncluttered appearance, and the number of displays that were present really almost looked like a desperate attempt to try to look more like Walmart. This could be boosting sales, but it sure doesn't seem to fit with the image that Target has tried to present in recent years. While these were only at the front of the store, this could end up looking very junky if they aren't careful.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I saw aisle displays at Target months ago and it was right in the middle of all of the shopping aisles. It did not look professional at all and with the narrow aisles at Target it caused traffic jams. It did not last long at my local store.

Also, I remember Taco Bell Express at Target stores. That was actually kind of popular for a while and people were upset when it was discontinued.

The Target Cafe gets most of its sales from team members. Customers may buy drinks or Starbucks, but the food is not very popular.

That is why the food is being phased out and only Starbucks will remain.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on July 1st, 2019, 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Target's presentation and overall store operation has become noticeably sloppy and downscale compared to a decade ago. I am not impressed with Target. I don't go in much, and when I do, I always leave with few items and a general feeling as if I just wasted my time going there. I am not particularly impressed with their product mix or with their pricing. There are just too many other better options. But the company is in a roll and producing great financial results and a lot of people I know and work with are very happy with their visits to Target and products they are purchasing at Target.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Target is doing fine and will continue to do even better. I find their stores to be far superior than Walmart, except for variety.

Their big problem is consistency from store to store.

The big Target in Mission Valley (going through a major remodel) is always busy and presented well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: July 1st, 2019, 7:06 am Target is doing fine and will continue to do even better. I find their stores to be far superior than Walmart, except for variety.

Their big problem is consistency from store to store.

The big Target in Mission Valley (going through a major remodel) is always busy and presented well.
Yes, and Target used to be very consistent. That was one of their core values. Yet now you have these inconsistent stores. Sloppy stores. Sloppy looking employees. Sloppy displays (pallets on the sales floor when customers are in the store did not used to be allowed). Confusing pricing requiring multiple quantity purchases for a sale price on things like pet food. Target did not used to do any of this stuff.

Add to it that Target pays its employees less than Wal Mart and I suppose one could say you get what you pay for.