Target scaling back Jewelry departments?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Target scaling back Jewelry departments?

Post by Super S »

I visited the Kelso, WA Target store earlier today, and noticed that the jewelry cases were all covered with translucent panels which allowed some light through, but did not allow you to see in to the cases. There was also a notice that they no longer change watch bands or batteries. Is Target doing this in all of their stores, or just selected ones? Seems odd for a store that tries to market itself as more upscale. This particular store opened around 1990 and was remodeled about 6 years ago.
Alpha8472

Re: Target scaling back Jewelry departments?

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have not seen any changes to any local jewelry cases.

Changing watch bands and batteries is a very time consuming process. Target must be trying to cut labor costs. Selling jewelry is very profitable for stores, so I don't believe they will be getting rid of it any time soon. Changing watchbands doesn't bring in much money.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote:I have not seen any changes to any local jewelry cases.

Changing watch bands and batteries is a very time consuming process. Target must be trying to cut labor costs. Selling jewelry is very profitable for stores, so I don't believe they will be getting rid of it any time soon. Changing watchbands doesn't bring in much money.
What didn't make sense though is how ALL of the cases were covered with those panels, basically nothing could be displayed in them. They did have some "cheap" jewelry on a nearby wall and some sitting on top of the cases unlocked. Maybe they don't want to staff anybody at all in that department? I just found it odd because Walmart and even Kmart still maintain their cases.
RandallFlagg

Post by RandallFlagg »

I noticed a few months ago that the Super Target in Hesperia has a very small and limited jewelry boat. I don't know if Target still calls it that, but they did when I worked there in the late 80's. There was no one working the area when I arrived and a lady walked by and asked if I needed help, but when I said no she never entered the cased area. Most of the items in the glass cases didn't seem to warrant the need. They were all low priced items. The location isn't in a high traffic area anymore either. It is in the front corner across from refunds, not on the main aisle, but tucked back and up against the front wall. This is a new store and I'll have to look at the Super Target in Apple Valley, which was built about a year prior and see if it's the same. We also have two older Targets and I'm going to look at those next time I go shopping. I'll try to snap some pics with the cell.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I visited a Target in Vancouver, WA today, at Vancouver Plaza. I think this one opened in 88 or 89. This store has also installed the panels on ALL of the cases. They also had the sign about the watch bands. Although nobody was working in that section, they still did have a cash register in the department, kinda pointless if everything is out in the open.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have seen more instances of the panels covering up the cases. I assume that Target now only wants to sell self-serve Jewelry now. Apparently, the cost of having a person staff the Jewelry case wasn't worth it. They won't bother to remove the cash register in case they decide to bring back full service Jewelry one day.

Have you ever noticed the thousand dollar Rolex watches and expensive jewelry at Costco right when you walk in? It turns out that they did that on purpose. High priced items and unobtainable items at the front of the store prime shoppers to see the cheap items in the rest of the store. It makes shoppers believe that everything else is an irresistible bargain. Very few people buy the thousand dollar Rolex watches or the hot tub on display.

You don't need Fine Jewelry. You just need a fancy case of out of reach expensive jewelry to make people snap up cheap merchandise.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Target still seems to be doing ok, but maybe they have realized that upscale doesn't always work in a bad economy. I have noticed their stores around here don't seem to be as busy as Fred Meyer and Walmart though.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I was in Portland today, and stumbled upon a brand new Target store at Cascade Station near Portland International Airport. I went inside, and they do have the jewelry department in a more traditional spot for Target, across from the checkstands along the "racetrack" aisle. They did not have any cases, instead, they had stuff sitting on regular tables. There was also no cash register in the department. Another thing I noticed is that this store has white reflectors on their lights instead of the silver ones most Targets have, and it is a lot brighter than most.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

So it seems that Target is definitely getting rid of service jewelry and is switching to self-serve jewelry only.

Target recently opened 26 brand new stores in California several days ago. I assume that they time the grand openings so that they can have regional grand opening celebration sales.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote:So it seems that Target is definitely getting rid of service jewelry and is switching to self-serve jewelry only.

Target recently opened 26 brand new stores in California several days ago. I assume that they time the grand openings so that they can have regional grand opening celebration sales.
The Portland store probably opened at the same time as the California stores.