Discussion: Convenience stores / gasoline retailers

HCal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Discussion: Convenience stores / gasoline retailers

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: April 29th, 2021, 11:39 pm
There was a time in the past where Sam's Gas was a .05 upcharge for non members and open to the public. That changed years ago and they are members only unless local law dictates otherwise.
How far in the past are you referring to? Was it nationwide or only in selected markets?

From what I know, New Jersey is the only place where local law requires them to be open to the public. However, up until COVID hit, they were handing out free 1-day passes quite liberally so you could go inside, get a pass, and then ask the attendant to activate the pump for you.

Super S, Sam's Club doesn't allow non-members to shop with a gift card like Costco does. I think their logic is that if you get a gift card and aren't a member, you can use it at Walmart.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: May 4th, 2021, 10:33 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 29th, 2021, 11:39 pm
There was a time in the past where Sam's Gas was a .05 upcharge for non members and open to the public. That changed years ago and they are members only unless local law dictates otherwise.
How far in the past are you referring to? Was it nationwide or only in selected markets?

From what I know, New Jersey is the only place where local law requires them to be open to the public. However, up until COVID hit, they were handing out free 1-day passes quite liberally so you could go inside, get a pass, and then ask the attendant to activate the pump for you.

Super S, Sam's Club doesn't allow non-members to shop with a gift card like Costco does. I think their logic is that if you get a gift card and aren't a member, you can use it at Walmart.
Not sure if it was nationwide but it was in the past 15 years and it was in California where I observed it.
Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Alpha8472 »

Sam's Club lets non-members shop the website with a 10 percent upcharge. The fee does not apply to California.

By law, you can purchase alcohol or use the pharmacy without a membership.
BillyGr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 5th, 2021, 12:20 am Sam's Club lets non-members shop the website with a 10 percent upcharge. The fee does not apply to California.

BJ's used to do the same in stores (shop with an added fee for non members), not sure if they still do. Also unsure if that ever applied to the gas (since normally a customer is scanning their card at the pump for that).

Meanwhile, the two Sam's locally (one now closed and added to the Walmart to make the largest Walmart store in the country, last I knew) never had fuel stations.
arizonaguy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by arizonaguy »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 5th, 2021, 12:20 am Sam's Club lets non-members shop the website with a 10 percent upcharge. The fee does not apply to California.

Out here in Arizona Sam's Club is open to members only. However, if you are a Walmart+ member you can access the Sam's Club fuel center if use your Walmart+ app (and get the same price that Sam's Club members get for fuel).

A Sam's Club fuel center in Scottsdale, AZ used to do the 10 cent upcharge for non Sam's Club members (it's located adjacent to a Walmart Supercenter). When the Sam's Club closed the fuel center closed for a few months and then became rebranded as a Walmart fuel center (only one in the state, I believe).
mbz321
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mbz321 »

BillyGr wrote: May 5th, 2021, 11:40 am
BJ's used to do the same in stores (shop with an added fee for non members), not sure if they still do. Also unsure if that ever applied to the gas (since normally a customer is scanning their card at the pump for that).

[/quote]

For a while a BJ's near me (in PA) had non-member pricing on the pumps, but they seemed to have ended that a few years back. BJ's hands out memberships like candy though (always deals floating around for like $25 a year or such), so it's kind of a no-brainer to get one if you live nearby,