7-Eleven to buy Stripes

HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: 7-Eleven to buy Stripes

Post by HCal »

The FTC doesn't have the authority to block a merger. Rather, they have to go to federal court and ask a judge to block it.

After the FTC is notified of the merger, there is a certain waiting period for them to investigate it. After that waiting period expires (which I believe happened today) the companies are free to merge unless the FTC has obtained an injunction from a court saying otherwise.

I'm not sure why they didn't do so in this case. From what I can tell, the FTC currently has 2 Republicans and 2 Democrats, so maybe they are fighting amongst themselves.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: May 15th, 2021, 10:20 am This may just be gas stations but when it is something else like hospitals or banks or utilities trying this sort of thing and saying we can do it since the gas stations did, you may be more concerned.
Add local volunteer ambulance services to that list. I live in a rather rural area and we were served quite well by a few volunteer services over the years. Over the last few years those services experienced financial distress and have shut down. Another more stable volunteer service in the next county stepped to fill the void and they've done relatively well by us. But one by one they've started providing service in other local areas as those services shut down due to finances or just decided to throw in the towel. A week or two ago it was announced that some kind of private equity firm would be acquiring this now greatly expanded "volunteer" ambulance service. I don't want to even think about the consequences that may end up arising from this. Time will tell I guess.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Marathon is retaining many of the Speedway locations or corporate operated locations still branded Shell and not yet converted to Speedway in SoCal. These are the only ones they are retaining in the West. Maybe these are anti-trust concerns. It does appear in SoCal, the few locations where both the gas and store got rebranded to Speedway, are being sold to 7-Eleven. But there are not many of those, probably less than 30. Those weird Shell/Speedway combined brand sites are not being sold to 7-Eleven and stay with Marathon.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

pseudo3d wrote: January 8th, 2018, 8:34 pm http://www.cspdailynews.com/mergers-acq ... 0-c-stores

The end is near. I'm surprised they aren't mentioning divestments in the overlapping markets, though only one market I can think of (Waco) really has actually has overlap. Circle K got away with keeping almost everything, so I suppose 7-Eleven will too (just as Stripes had when they bought Rattlers). My top 6 questions which will probably be answered one way or another by years end are...
1. Will 7-Eleven keep the Stripes name on stores?
2. Will 7-Eleven keep the larger Stripes stores at all?
3. A few years ago, Stripes acquired Sac-N-Pac out of San Marcos. A few years later, the stores were all either rebranded, closed, or sold off. The only exception is a Sac-N-Pac in Cedar Creek that still operates with their name and logo. I assume that is a franchised operation, will they keep that name or will they be forced to change?
4. A number of stores (mostly Rattlers) have co-branded food service operations (Wendy's, Burger King, KFC) connected to the store. Will 7-Eleven keep these stores or change them?
5. Several years ago, Susser acquired a number of "Quick Stuff" convenience stores from Jack in the Box that were co-branded with a Jack in the Box. What will 7-Eleven do with these?
6. Will 7-Eleven continue to expand in Susser's former market areas?
OK, so all my questions are now answered, or mostly answered.

1. Will 7-Eleven keep the Stripes name on stores?
No. The Stripes disappearance hasn't been all at once--some stores are still Stripes complete with cups and other designs, but those stores have been fading away slowly but surely.

2. Will 7-Eleven keep the larger Stripes stores at all?
It appears like it. The big former Chicks store (10k+) was still Stripes at last check but the large, modern Stripes stores made it through completely intact.

3. A few years ago, Stripes acquired Sac-N-Pac out of San Marcos. A few years later, the stores were all either rebranded, closed, or sold off. The only exception is a Sac-N-Pac in Cedar Creek that still operates with their name and logo. I assume that is a franchised operation, will they keep that name or will they be forced to change?
That particular Sac-N-Pac did convert to Stripes soon after the big push that rebranded or bumped most of them. It was not, however, converted to 7-Eleven, it got kicked off the chain and the former Stripes diamond just says "Food Mart" on it. It should be noted that this is a somewhat unusual case--when Stripes took over Sac-N-Pac, a number of older and/or rural stores got purged. After this purge, almost every Stripes (except for this store, obviously) was converted to 7-Eleven.

It should also be noted that a lot of the Rattlers stores (never rebranded by Stripes) ended up getting purged from the system, including one that still operates as Rattlers but went independent. I don't think any of the "Whistle Stop" stores Rattlers' bought before being by Stripes survived (due to the fast changeover, Whistle Stop never got rebranded).

4. A number of stores (mostly Rattlers) have co-branded food service operations (Wendy's, Burger King, KFC) connected to the store. Will 7-Eleven keep these stores or change them?
While many of the Rattlers have been sold or closed, the Sac-N-Pac and Stripes have this in full force. YES, you can have 7-Eleven with KFC. YES, you can have 7-Eleven with Schlotzsky's. Those are the ones that I have confirmed.

5. Several years ago, Susser acquired a number of "Quick Stuff" convenience stores from Jack in the Box that were co-branded with a Jack in the Box. What will 7-Eleven do with these?
These got dumped pretty quickly. While still bearing the Quick Stuff name just as they were under Stripes, the ones in Houston are owned by Checkout now.

6. Will 7-Eleven continue to expand in Susser's former market areas?
Yes. A number of Raceway stores got bought and are being converted or have been converted, and there are areas now where multiple 7-Elevens occur within a few blocks of each other. While 7-Eleven has not reached the store count it had in many of the areas it had in the market before pulling out years ago (Houston in particular) they're growing fast in suburban areas.