Sports Authority Bankruptcy

Super S

Re: Sports Authority Bankruptcy

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote:The mall near me also had a Copeland's Sports that used to be an ice skating rink. Sport Authority took it over and converted it into a huge store. That store had escalators and a huge sales floor. That lasted only a short period of time before being closed. There is a standalone Sports Authority less than a mile away.

Dick's Sporting Goods entered California a couple of years ago. Their stores are quite different than Sports Authority. Dick's builds huge stores with the biggest selection possible. They spare no expense to have everything imaginable and make their stores look fancy with giant windows and tall escalators. Sports Authority does not have as much of a selection at their stores. Most of the Sports Authority stores will not be attractive to Dick's because Dick's prefers to have huge stores with the most selection. If it doesn't have a second floor, Dick's will most likely not be interested. Dick's prefers to build brand new from the ground up. The Dick's near me was a brand new store that tore down a gigantic and historic dome theater. The cost alone of demolishing that monumental building was astronomical. Dick's is a store of excess. One day that will be their undoing. It is sort of like visiting a Cabela's.

Big 5 is known for their tiny stores. It is sort of like the dollar store version of sporting goods stores. The stores are small and the selection is awful. They are cheap to run since they are so small and have so few products.
Dick's entered the Portland market by acquiring most of their stores from the failed G.I.Joe's (later Joe's, I am going to use the former name). However, there is one at Washington Square which is a former Mervyn's. I honestly can't think of a single case where Dick's built a new store near me.

Cabela's is still a "destination" type of store, but the novelty is wearing off as they build more locations and newer stores are smaller. Dick's is more like a typical neighborhood big box store.