Wal-Mart in Saline, MI Opening 10/14/09

Kroger472
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Wal-Mart in Saline, MI Opening 10/14/09

Post by Kroger472 »

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review ... d-opening/

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so if I didn't put it in the right place let me know.

This 171,000 Sq. Ft. unit may replace the Ypsilanti Township unit about 5 miles to the east.
Kroger472
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Wal-Mart in Saline, MI Opening 10/14/09

Post by Kroger472 »

More on the Super center which apparently Features floors made from recycled materials among other things.

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review ... ar-saline/

This article has a slide show of the new store.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-review ... stination/
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Concrete floors with recycled content is nothing new.

In fact, several years ago Albertsons remodeled many of their supermarkets with rubber floors. The floors look almost like regular vinyl, but it is indeed rubber. It saved money because you would not need to spend money on chemical cleaners to clean the floor. Polished concrete floors also do not need chemical cleaners like the old style white tiles that they used to use at Walmart. At some SuperTarget stores, you will notice that the grocery sections have brown concrete floors while the non-food merchandise areas have the signature white Target floors. This is so that the harsh chemicals would not be used near the Produce or open air groceries.
Kroger472
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by Kroger472 »

Here's the article about the grand opening today:

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review ... e-opening/
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The decor of this Walmart is using the latest Walmart decor. Previously Walmart stores were known for their drab institutionalized colors. This new store features bright colors on the walls like orange, yellow, and blue. It is more cheerful.

Walmart seems to be trying to improve the image of their stores. Previously, their stores just looked so plain. However, I think that the new Walmart blue color that they have used at their checkout lanes is a bit too blue. It is not a calm soothing blue color. It is an obnoxious blue.

Sadly, Walmart is a reflection of the people who shop there. In some cities, Walmart is ok, and in some cities Walmart attracts customers that aren't exactly pleasant.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Two Walmarts are currently under construction near me, Longview, WA and Woodland, WA. It will be interesting to see what the new ones look like, and what they decide to do with Longview's old mid-90s build conventional Walmart which apparently is staying open across town, which has only received a minor remodel since it opened.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

In San Leandro, California a Target store closed down because they opened a new store nearby. Walmart swooped in and took over the location and opened up within a few months. Walmart already had another store in the same city, but decided to keep both stores open. Apparently, as long as the store makes enough money Walmart will probably keep it open. Also, Walmart is very protective of their closed buildings. They will keep their closed down stores empty so that no other competitors like Target can move in. Target is different. Target will close a store, but they don't hold onto the empty building.
tesg
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by tesg »

Is it just me, or is Walmart no longer using the word "Supercenter" on new Supercenters and existing structures that have been changed to the new signage?

I've noticed this on at least a couple of Supercenters.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

tesg wrote:Is it just me, or is Walmart no longer using the word "Supercenter" on new Supercenters and existing structures that have been changed to the new signage?

I've noticed this on at least a couple of Supercenters.
That's correct... Supercenter or not, the stores are just being called Walmart (now as one word, without the hyphen)