Bass Pro Shops buys Cabelas

Super S

Bass Pro Shops buys Cabelas

Post by Super S »

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cabela ... 2016-10-03

Not sure how this will affect either chain. It seems like, in recent years, Cabela's has been opening smaller stores that aren't quite the big draw they once were. Bass Pro does have a newer store in Tacoma, the closest to me, but I have never been to one of their stores.

I just hope this doesn't turn into something like Sears/Kmart, Office Depot/Office Max, Safeway/Albertsons, etc. where two big chains merge and the promise of increased buying power and lower prices never takes place. Time will tell. Then again, many who visit these types of stores are not necessarily looking for bargains to begin with.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Re: Bass Pro Shops buys Cabelas

Post by cathandler »

Looks like the merger is in trouble. The competitive marketplace faces another shakeup with a possible bankruptcy/liquidation of rival Gander Mountain. Even before then, they were facing regulatory headwinds due to competition issues. Capital One appears to be backing out of a deal to take over Cabela's credit card business. Plus gun sales are slipping now that concerns of tougher gun laws are subsiding. All in all, this deal might not get done.