7-Eleven to buy Stripes

storewanderer

Re: 7-Eleven to buy Stripes

Post by storewanderer »

I was in a corporate Sunoco A-Plus (7-Eleven) and they were in the process of resetting the center store to having 7-Eleven brands. They still had the Sunoco cash registers and Sunoco drink/food programs in place. Promotion signage was also not 7-Eleven signage.

I am a little curious about the 7-Elevens in Albuquerque which were also Alon/Fina sites. Those all seemed like very old, legacy 7-Eleven sites. The Alon/Fina 7-Elevens in El Paso on the other hand, did not seem like legacy 7-Eleven sites.

Also interesting in Albuquerque there appears to be a "real" 7-Eleven in downtown Albuquerque in the bottom of an office building that is only open until 9 PM.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

One of the area Rattlers stores (a local convenience store previously bought by Stripes but never rebranded) rebranded to 7-Eleven without much fanfare or changes. It's a decently large store (almost 4,000 square feet) with some of Rattlers' original decor (corrugated metal) but with Stripes' programs still intact. To my knowledge, none of the other local stores (not even the TETCO stores) got the 7-Eleven name. Nor has the massive 12,000 square feet Stripes seen any rebranding....

Nor does 7-Eleven want to give up on Stripes entirely--Stripes still has its own programs, like a Selena-themed Slurpee (sour cherry/lime/salt flavor, colored purple) that graced its stores (including that particular store).

Also, not sure when it did change over but a year or two ago the Cedar Creek Sac-N-Pac did in fact rebrand to Stripes.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Went to Stripes again, and a full rebranding to 7-Eleven now seems inevitable: the coffee cups, which have had Stripes branding (and I believe even got a new cup design AFTER the buyout) are being phased in with the current 7-Eleven coffee cup. Took a glance at the ice machine, the ice still has the Stripes logo (but the address changed to Irving about two years ago, instead of Corpus Christi).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: January 16th, 2021, 4:03 am Went to Stripes again, and a full rebranding to 7-Eleven now seems inevitable: the coffee cups, which have had Stripes branding (and I believe even got a new cup design AFTER the buyout) are being phased in with the current 7-Eleven coffee cup. Took a glance at the ice machine, the ice still has the Stripes logo (but the address changed to Irving about two years ago, instead of Corpus Christi).
7-Eleven probably decided they better get going on that rebranding given they are about to take control of Speedway.

7-Eleven also needs to get going on installing chip card readers on their gas pumps, given the fraud liability shifts to them in 2 months if those gas pumps continue to process via swipe. So far in my area they have installed the hardware, but not the software, on 2 of about 35 stations. Shell, Chevron, Safeway, Smiths, Costco all have the chip card readers that actually do process via the chip and in some cases have for a couple years now, as do a growing number of unbranded stations. But 7-Eleven? Nope.

Speedway also processes credit at the pump via Chip- I wonder if 7-Eleven will shut that function off as they move Speedway over to the 7-Eleven platform. 7-Eleven would be wise to scrap their entire loyalty card, IT, point of sale system, and store design group and put Speedway's programs in place. But I doubt they will.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I rolled in my local Stripes today (last night, technically) and found that sometime during Wednesday received new 7-Eleven branding. It was the road sign and on the side of the store, but not the front (yet).

At this point, the ice bags was still branded as Stripes as of two days ago, some signage near the drinks is still Stripes, some employee uniforms are still Stripes (but a few have 7E uniforms), and the POS system still said Stripes (but it's the same as other 7-Eleven stores). I have no idea about the other Stripes (including the huge 12k square foot one).

Unbelievable how both 7-Eleven and Circle K weaseled their way back into top market share in cities through some big acquisitions just in the last five years or so.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote: March 4th, 2021, 1:57 am At this point, the ice bags was still branded as Stripes as of two days ago, some signage near the drinks is still Stripes, some employee uniforms are still Stripes (but a few have 7E uniforms), and the POS system still said Stripes (but it's the same as other 7-Eleven stores). I have no idea about the other Stripes (including the huge 12k square foot one).
I don't know about anything else, but I do know that the POS systems were brought into 7-Eleven's systems almost immediately after the merger. It says Stripes, but that can be changed quickly.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote: March 4th, 2021, 8:11 am
pseudo3d wrote: March 4th, 2021, 1:57 am At this point, the ice bags was still branded as Stripes as of two days ago, some signage near the drinks is still Stripes, some employee uniforms are still Stripes (but a few have 7E uniforms), and the POS system still said Stripes (but it's the same as other 7-Eleven stores). I have no idea about the other Stripes (including the huge 12k square foot one).
I don't know about anything else, but I do know that the POS systems were brought into 7-Eleven's systems almost immediately after the merger. It says Stripes, but that can be changed quickly.
Yeah, there was a Raceway in Bryan that had converted to 7-Eleven in short order (still in mid-transition, but not a slow boil like Stripes) and their POS system (same type) said 7-Eleven.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote: March 4th, 2021, 11:49 am
wnetmacman wrote: March 4th, 2021, 8:11 am
Yeah, there was a Raceway in Bryan that had converted to 7-Eleven in short order (still in mid-transition, but not a slow boil like Stripes) and their POS system (same type) said 7-Eleven.
Most POS systems are the same, but can be 'customized' by changing the retailer's name and logo in the system.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

7-11 has a handful of test stores called “evolution” that have unique food and beverage options. Those stores use a different 7-11 logo (the “eleven” is in lower case font), yet the rest of the operation (and the new ad campaign that just started) still has the 50+ year old 7-ELEVEN logo.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

7-Eleven has a new store in Ridgefield, WA only a few months old. It is not an "evolution store" but it is twice the size of a usual 7-Eleven. I went in when it must have been on or near opening day. They had lots of employees, various dispensed beverage equipment all in working order, clean, neat, lots of options, good store layout and decor was fairly basic but felt modern and nice. With the larger space they had noticeably more packaged grocery, liquor, etc. than I've ever seen before in a 7-Eleven. Excellent mix.

Went back to the store a few weeks later. Two employees on duty. The shelves and cooler areas looked okay and were clean. Again the large mix of items on the aisles is a big step up. Multiple gas pumps either out of order or chip reader already not working. Back at the dispensed beverage equipment about half of the slurpee flavors across 3 different machines were either not available or the machine was broken entirely, not sure which. Some other equipment with handwritten notices broken or out of product as well. POS system inside the store couldn't process Apple Pay for some unknown reason. After THREE WEEKS all of this? I was not really surprised.

7-Eleven is really a joke.