7-Eleven to buy Stripes

pseudo3d

Re: 7-Eleven to buy Stripes

Post by pseudo3d »

jamcool wrote: April 18th, 2018, 12:14 pm The Stripes stores sold off were mostly in the region where Alon/7-11 operates, or in the case of OK, 7-11 of Oklahoma (which is separate from 7-11)
The Stripes stores in Oklahoma, if I recall, were all pretty dated (Stripes was a renamed Circle K franchisee if I read right). Furthermore, I don't think Llano is included in that (an Alon/7-11 area with Stripes across the street). They mention that a lot of the stores were former Town & Country stores, which operated in that region and was a 168-store purchase. It could have a lot to do with just the way Stripes and 7-Eleven stores are divided out. Despite being located in Dallas, 7-Eleven sold off most of its stores in Texas, with exits in Waco and Houston years ago. 7-Eleven exists in the Austin metro area (that was where they changed their hours from just 7-11), with Stripes existing largely on fringe areas (most of these were Sac-N-Pac). Waco has both too with 7-Eleven entering about six years ago, though their growth stopped there (as did Stripes eventually, and with Corner Store's death, QuikStop is poised to clean house when they arrive).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Do we know who the group is who took over these Stripes that 7-Eleven did not take?

I am curious because in New Mexico (Deming, Las Cruces, Alamogordo) there seem to be a few stations that recently rebranded to Sunoco. I do not recall Sunoco being used in New Mexico in the past. These stations were previously branded Bradley or Sav-O-Mat and accepted Sinclair Credit Cards previously, similar to most of the Bradley sites up around Colorado which were not always explicitly flagged as Sinclair, but took their card. Bradley out of Denver is who I thought got bought by Stinker from Boise a few years ago.

The receipt from the recently rebranded station said "Unitex" on it.
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by a42887 »

storewanderer wrote: April 21st, 2018, 10:07 pm Do we know who the group is who took over these Stripes that 7-Eleven did not take?

I am curious because in New Mexico (Deming, Las Cruces, Alamogordo) there seem to be a few stations that recently rebranded to Sunoco. I do not recall Sunoco being used in New Mexico in the past. These stations were previously branded Bradley or Sav-O-Mat and accepted Sinclair Credit Cards previously, similar to most of the Bradley sites up around Colorado which were not always explicitly flagged as Sinclair, but took their card. Bradley out of Denver is who I thought got bought by Stinker from Boise a few years ago.

I'm confused by this post. The Stripes website doesn't show locations in any of these cities, and Googling Stripes with the city name would at least show an old result if they were formerly Stripes. Are you saying these stores just now are converting to the Stripes brand? The three cities you listed are still shown on Bradley's website: http://www.bradleygas.com/locations/

EDIT: Upon Googling the Alamogordo station, the results do show Sunoco a few times, although Sunoco's own site doesn't show a result either by searching, nor does New Mexico even show up as a state that they have stations.

EDIT 2: All three stations are for sale: https://www.bizbuysell.com/business-bro ... rofileTabs

EDIT 3: Apparently Bradley sold it's stores to Stinker out of Idaho. However, the article I found specifically said the Wyoming and Colorado stores. Once could assume that the New Mexico stores weren't included, and that the website for Bradley is just living on in ghost-mode.. https://businessden.com/2017/02/28/brad ... aho-chain/

In regards to who purchased the divested Stripes stores in NM/OK/West TX, it was a company formed as Cal’s Convenience Inc., which is headed by Jack Whitney, former vice president of retail operations for Sunoco and Stripes.

http://www.cspdailynews.com/mergers-acq ... -207-sites
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

a42887 wrote: May 20th, 2018, 9:10 am
storewanderer wrote: April 21st, 2018, 10:07 pm Do we know who the group is who took over these Stripes that 7-Eleven did not take?

I'm confused by this post. The Stripes website doesn't show locations in any of these cities, and Googling Stripes with the city name would at least show an old result if they were formerly Stripes. Are you saying these stores just now are converting to the Stripes brand? The three cities you listed are still shown on Bradley's website: http://www.bradleygas.com/locations/

EDIT: Upon Googling the Alamogordo station, the results do show Sunoco a few times, although Sunoco's own site doesn't show a result either by searching, nor does New Mexico even show up as a state that they have stations.

EDIT 2: All three stations are for sale: https://www.bizbuysell.com/business-bro ... rofileTabs

EDIT 3: Apparently Bradley sold it's stores to Stinker out of Idaho. However, the article I found specifically said the Wyoming and Colorado stores. Once could assume that the New Mexico stores weren't included, and that the website for Bradley is just living on in ghost-mode.. https://businessden.com/2017/02/28/brad ... aho-chain/

In regards to who purchased the divested Stripes stores in NM/OK/West TX, it was a company formed as Cal’s Convenience Inc., which is headed by Jack Whitney, former vice president of retail operations for Sunoco and Stripes.

http://www.cspdailynews.com/mergers-acq ... -207-sites
It looks like the 3 odd Sunoco rebrands in New Mexico were a strange coincidence and in no way related to Stripes...

I think the Bradley website is indeed a ghost as there are some closed sites on it.

The Las Cruces Sunoco had the Bradley sign covered with a Sunoco tarp so it seems like it still had the Bradley name up until a few months ago... also the one in Deming had some cups/signs that said Bradley... maybe just old stock. The sites were very similar to the Bradley sites I have experienced in the past in Colorado: dirty, employees not in any sort of uniform, etc. The difference was with Sunoco fuel their price was in the middle of the pack, whereas Bradley fuel always tended to be the lowest cost in the market.
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by a42887 »

storewanderer wrote: May 20th, 2018, 10:12 pm It looks like the 3 odd Sunoco rebrands in New Mexico were a strange coincidence and in no way related to Stripes...

I think the Bradley website is indeed a ghost as there are some closed sites on it.

The Las Cruces Sunoco had the Bradley sign covered with a Sunoco tarp so it seems like it still had the Bradley name up until a few months ago... also the one in Deming had some cups/signs that said Bradley... maybe just old stock. The sites were very similar to the Bradley sites I have experienced in the past in Colorado: dirty, employees not in any sort of uniform, etc. The difference was with Sunoco fuel their price was in the middle of the pack, whereas Bradley fuel always tended to be the lowest cost in the market.
This makes a lot more sense. They are all being advertised for sale with recent pump/awning upgrades and Sunoco-branded fuel. This looks like the beginning of a push for Sunoco to enter the New Mexico market. Thanks for the clarification.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Like I thought would happen, a slow purge of stores that 7-Eleven wouldn't like (like combo stores) seem to be underway, the Valero in Victoria TX seems to have been closed in the last past week, maybe even sooner. It was built as a Diamond Shamrock with a Burger King and independent store Whistle Stop, but it became part of Stripes after Whistle Stop sold to Rattlers in 2015, and Rattlers subsequent sale to Sunoco, so it's been operating as a Stripes for the last few years even though it says Whistle Stop on the outside.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Is the Burger King still open?

7-Eleven will absolutely close poorly performing locations. They will even sublease them out to independent c-store operators. This seems to be an example of a poorly performing location.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: May 28th, 2018, 10:20 am Is the Burger King still open?

7-Eleven will absolutely close poorly performing locations. They will even sublease them out to independent c-store operators. This seems to be an example of a poorly performing location.
Apparently not, but the Burger King used to do above-average in sales, and it was on a major thoroughfare. When Stripes bought Rattlers, they didn't change any of the signage (though it wasn't too long before they got bought themselves) but they did start converting the gas canopies over to Sunoco, even after the sale closed to 7-Eleven.

I don't think that 7-Eleven wants the stores that are co-branded to a fast food operator. It's not unheard of, but there are too many Stripes-acquired stores that have co-branded operations (Wendy's, Burger King, KFC, Jack in the Box via Quick Stuff, etc. etc.). Maybe this will change, but maybe not. The store flat-out closed if Google is correct (neither Stripes or Burger King list the location), rather than hand it off to be divested (the divested stores in Victoria will be called Snax Max). They don't seem to mind sharing spaces with other businesses in the same gas station building, though...they took over the convenience store (and gas canopy) part of a Shell that was originally co-branded with Jack in the Box (not Quick Stuff), nor do they seem to mind being close to each other (there were two 7-Elevens right across the street from each other on a road that wasn't even a main thoroughfare in Temple, and survived for at least a few years, and on a road trip to Austin, two 7-Eleven/Exxons that were just 700 feet from each other.

The Burger King that was part of Whistle Stop wasn't originally owned by Rattlers (they bought Whistle Stop shortly before selling off the chain), which kept the franchised stores after selling off the convenience store and gas portions. The twin store of Victoria, in Corpus Christi, remains open with the Burger King also still open. The big question is if 7-Eleven is willing to adapt. Before buying Sac-N-Pac and Rattlers, Stripes didn't really do the whole "co-branded fast food" except with Quick Stuff, which it did not do under its own name, and 7-Eleven was really excited about Laredo Taco Company, even though most of the Stripes stores, especially the new build ones, were much larger than traditional 7-Eleven stores. Further questions come in the fact that they seem to have slowed down builds to zero in areas that they planned to invest in. Waco hasn't seen any new 7-Eleven stores in a few years (Corner Store seemed to be prospering, but Circle K means that the Corner Store Market program is now kaput) and a planned expansion into Houston has just left three stores still branded as a TETCO (all inherited from Speedy Stop) in a 25-mile radius (this does not count the Stripes stores, but again, they stopped building). They could really get back in business by buying one of the major Houston convenience store operators like Star Stop or Timewise, but in any event, I'm still keeping a watchlist of about a dozen Stripes-owned stores that could be affected under 7-Eleven.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

7-Eleven has one store in Reno co-branded with Wendys and another in Reno and in Sparks co-branded with Carl's Jr. All of these were acquired from another operator. They have nothing to do with the fast food operation though. Shared restrooms in the middle which are the responsibility of the fast food operator. The one with a Wendy's locks its restrooms when Wendy's is closed.
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by a42887 »

There are a ton of co-located stores in the Las Vegas market with 7-Eleven and a major Fast Food Operator. They are all franchised 7-11 locations, but the store and food are operated by the same person under the same roof. Many of them have (had; they're slowly closing) neighborhood Post Office locations in them as well.