Michael's to close Aaron Brothers

arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Michael's to close Aaron Brothers

Post by arizonaguy »

https://www.chainstoreage.com/real-esta ... sitioning/

I've never been to Aaron Brothers. However Michael's is building a new store a couple of blocks from my house (in a former Fry's next to a Hobby Lobby)(so their main chain seems to still be doing well).
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Michael's to close Aaron Brothers

Post by SamSpade »

Interesting. They are running a large marketing campaign in the Portland, Ore. market on outdoor. Perhaps they intend to keep the 3 noted locations in this market.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

arizonaguy wrote: March 23rd, 2018, 7:58 am https://www.chainstoreage.com/real-esta ... sitioning/

I've never been to Aaron Brothers. However Michael's is building a new store a couple of blocks from my house (in a former Fry's next to a Hobby Lobby)(so their main chain seems to still be doing well).
I bought picture frames from Aaron Brothers when I lived in San Diego and they would have a buy one, get one for one cent sale. For a chain that specialized in picture frames, they had a rather limited variety of frames. They did nice custom framing, though. Typically their framers were artists.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I went into the local Aaron Brothers a couple years ago and made a purchase and was pretty surprised with their cash register. I think it was the original one from when the store opened around 1997, had an ink printer, old cube shaped screen on the cashier's side, and I had to hand the cashier my card for them to swipe on the swiper attached to the keyboard. It was Credit only, no PIN-debit.

I thought it was odd they were so far behind on point of sale technology but now it makes sense. It will be very easy for them to integrate these products and services into the Michael's Stores.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

SamSpade wrote: March 23rd, 2018, 12:02 pm Interesting. They are running a large marketing campaign in the Portland, Ore. market on outdoor. Perhaps they intend to keep the 3 noted locations in this market.
Well, I was wrong.
There is one of those "Joe Schmoe" liquidation sign holders outside the Beaverton location of Aaron Brothers on Beaverton - Hillsdale Highway. So I guess the brand is toast here.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I've seen recently that they've started branding some frame products in Michael's stores with Aaron Brothers branding. In general the merchandise at an Aaron Brothers store is not substantially different from what's in a Michael's store anyway, so it makes sense to consolidate this. All the Aaron Brothers stores I know of here are relatively close to Michael's stores anyway.