Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

Post by jamcool »

Walmart in Arizona sells Darigold milk, the only chain here that does.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:43 am Walmart in Arizona sells Darigold milk, the only chain here that does.
Is it that ultra pasteurized stuff with the long shelf life?
Super S

Post by Super S »

jamcool wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:43 am Walmart in Arizona sells Darigold milk, the only chain here that does.
Do they sell the actual Darigold brand, or their private "Great Value" brand which is produced by Darigold (at least in the Pacific Northwest...those jugs bear the same plant code as Darigold) Odd that Walmart would truck milk that far south, but it's feasible with their infrastructure.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: December 11th, 2020, 7:17 am
Do they sell the actual Darigold brand, or their private "Great Value" brand which is produced by Darigold (at least in the Pacific Northwest...those jugs bear the same plant code as Darigold) Odd that Walmart would truck milk that far south, but it's feasible with their infrastructure.
Darigold is probably the ultra pasturized milk at Wal Mart in AZ (they have that in NV and CA too)- those are cartons with a 2-3 month shelf life.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I finally saw a Marathon gas station in Northern California. It was in what I believe was a former curved roof Cheaper station. It must be a newly branded Marathon.

The logo is black and red. This was previously National Gas.

Cheaper convenience stores look like mini Marina Safeway stores with a curved roof.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 11:01 pm I finally saw a Marathon gas station in Northern California. It was in what I believe was a former curved roof Cheaper station. It must be a newly branded Marathon.

The logo is black and red. This was previously National Gas.

Cheaper convenience stores look like mini Marina Safeway stores with a curved roof.
Given Marathon is not reopening its NorCal refinery I am wondering how far off the ground their branding efforts in NorCal will get. The one between Reno and Carson City reopened at some point after I was there, but then closed again. The pumps again have seals on them with tag numbers (not sure who put the tags up as there are no attached notices) and the power is shut off entirely at the site. Parts of the canopy have blown down.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The gas station was in San Ramon, California which is not too far from the closed Marathon Refinery in Martinez. Marathon is not a trusted brand here. Whenever I see the name Marathon I think about the clouds of smoke that were coming from that ugly refinery in Martinez. The towers of the refinery were an eyesore and the plumes of vapor coming out of the towers made the area look like a toxic waste dump. I hope they tear that place down and leave no trace. It really dragged down the neighborhood.

I would never get gas from a Marathon station. I just don't trust the brand. However, maybe people in other areas of the state will not care as they have not seen the refinery.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:29 pm The gas station was in San Ramon, California which is not too far from the closed Marathon Refinery in Martinez. Marathon is not a trusted brand here. Whenever I see the name Marathon I think about the clouds of smoke that were coming from that ugly refinery in Martinez. The towers of the refinery were an eyesore and the plumes of vapor coming out of the towers made the area look like a toxic waste dump. I hope they tear that place down and leave no trace. It really dragged down the neighborhood.

I would never get gas from a Marathon station. I just don't trust the brand. However, maybe people in other areas of the state will not care as they have not seen the refinery.
That refinery changed hands quite a few times- Tosco, Ultramar, Tesoro... did Marathon actually put its name/logo on the refinery even? When I drove by it under Tesoro it did not have much to identify the Tesoro ownership. Still, part of the strategy Marathon had with Speedway was to have those corporate Speedway sites placed in regions near the refineries so they could sell their gas in those stations. Given the sale of Speedway and this refinery closure, I guess 7-Eleven will be able to go get gas from whoever in NorCal now for the stations they buy. 7-Eleven seems to be pretty tied up with the overpriced for no good reason 76 brand in NorCal and cash/credit +.10 pricing on those 76 stations, which I expect to be the future for their Speedway sites in NorCal, so good riddance to them.

Also while Marathon gas is (paying into some advertising fund to get the sticker that says) top tier, Speedway gas is not paying for that designation despite that it is probably the same gas in a given geographical area. That designation means nothing to me, but it may have some worth.

There is still another refinery open in Martinez. It was a Shell refinery, but it got sold to someone else last year. I'm not familiar with the buyer.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Speedway has a 2nd new construction location in Mesa, AZ: 7266 S. Ellsworth at East Pecos. So it looks like they were definitely trying to enter Phoenix, even if only at the edges. Really too bad Speedway did not stay as an independent company.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Slurpee figurines are now at Speedway. But no actual Slurpee beverage.