Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

TempoNick
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

Post by TempoNick »

storewanderer wrote: January 6th, 2021, 10:27 pm

Also while Marathon gas is (paying into some advertising fund to get the sticker that says) top tier, Speedway gas is not paying for that designation despite that it is probably the same gas in a given geographical area. That designation means nothing to me, but it may have some worth.
I think they have to continue buying gasoline from Marathon for another 15 years. Besides, in the Great Lakes region, Kentucky and West Virginia, where Speedway is strongest (other than in Chicagoland) who else are they going to buy from?

STP is owned by Clorox which makes the additives for Marathon. I think they also make the additives for Exxon Mobil too and from my understanding are pretty much the same thing. The difference between Marathon and Speedway gas is that Marathon has more additives, enough to get the top tier designation. Speedway gasoline only has the government minimum.
Alpha8472 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:29 pm
I would never get gas from a Marathon station. I just don't trust the brand. However, maybe people in other areas of the state will not care as they have not seen the refinery.
Nobody should be hesitant to buy Marathon gasoline. Marathon was part of Standard Oil just like Chevron, the Atlantic part of Arco and ExxonMobil and all of the old Standard Oil companies produced quality products. I've been using Speedway gasoline for years and my cars have been just fine. I stopped using it recently just because of all the gas points I get elsewhere, otherwise I have no problem with Speedway.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TempoNick wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 9:35 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 6th, 2021, 10:27 pm

Also while Marathon gas is (paying into some advertising fund to get the sticker that says) top tier, Speedway gas is not paying for that designation despite that it is probably the same gas in a given geographical area. That designation means nothing to me, but it may have some worth.
I think they have to continue buying gasoline from Marathon for another 15 years. Besides, in the Great Lakes region, Kentucky and West Virginia, where Speedway is strongest (other than in Chicagoland) who else are they going to buy from?

STP is owned by Clorox which makes the additives for Marathon. I think they also make the additives for Exxon Mobil too and from my understanding are pretty much the same thing. The difference between Marathon and Speedway gas is that Marathon has more additives, enough to get the top tier designation. Speedway gasoline only has the government minimum.
Alpha8472 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:29 pm
I would never get gas from a Marathon station. I just don't trust the brand. However, maybe people in other areas of the state will not care as they have not seen the refinery.
Nobody should be hesitant to buy Marathon gasoline. Marathon was part of Standard Oil just like Chevron, the Atlantic part of Arco and ExxonMobil and all of the old Standard Oil companies produced quality products. I've been using Speedway gasoline for years and my cars have been just fine. I stopped using it recently just because of all the gas points I get elsewhere, otherwise I have no problem with Speedway.
If 7-Eleven uses their gas price structure at Speedway, it will make business dive at those sites. 7-Eleven in my area has higher gas prices than Chevron or Shell (highest in market). In CA I notice the same thing, 7-Eleven is always the worst priced (especially when aligned with the "76" brand). Speedway has always been pretty competitive on gas pricing. Speedway tries/tried to be a volume operation but with a mixed quality of facility. 7-Eleven seems to just try to maximize profits with the highest prices and the worst quality facilities.

Speedway changes the dynamic for 7-Eleven though- now over 40% of their US Stores are corporate operated sites when you bring the 100% corporate operated Speedway into the fold. Maybe 7-Eleven will get better.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 10:56 pm If 7-Eleven uses their gas price structure at Speedway, it will make business dive at those sites. 7-Eleven in my area has higher gas prices than Chevron or Shell (highest in market). In CA I notice the same thing, 7-Eleven is always the worst priced (especially when aligned with the "76" brand). Speedway has always been pretty competitive on gas pricing. Speedway tries/tried to be a volume operation but with a mixed quality of facility. 7-Eleven seems to just try to maximize profits with the highest prices and the worst quality facilities.

Speedway changes the dynamic for 7-Eleven though- now over 40% of their US Stores are corporate operated sites when you bring the 100% corporate operated Speedway into the fold. Maybe 7-Eleven will get better.
Interestingly, within the last couple months, one of the Speedway stations here started doing a deal where gas is 10 cents cheaper if you use a "paycard". Not sure exactly how that works, but sounds like Cumberland's program (they have an app an a card version, hooks up to a checking account).
TempoNick
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by TempoNick »

BillyGr wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 2:06 pm
Interestingly, within the last couple months, one of the Speedway stations here started doing a deal where gas is 10 cents cheaper if you use a "paycard". Not sure exactly how that works, but sounds like Cumberland's program (they have an app an a card version, hooks up to a checking account).
Around here, Circle K and GetGo are pushing their own pay card. No thanks. I don't trust places like that to have automatic access to my bank account.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TempoNick wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 3:41 pm
BillyGr wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 2:06 pm
Around here, Circle K and GetGo are pushing their own pay card. No thanks. I don't trust places like that to have automatic access to my bank account.
Maverik has been pushing something like this for a while as well. They guarantee "competitive price match" whatever that means, along with some other perks. Still not something I'd be enrolling in.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It seems the USA Gasoline in Reno has gone out of business as of this morning. This was being operated by Anabi Oil on one of the old Tesoro multi-site agreements. It is on Wal Mart land and initially had Mirastar branding when Tesoro opened it.

The only thing left inside the gas booth is the cash register, all of the merchandise etc. is gone and it looks abandoned. Tonight it is funny what remained on the site- the window washing units and squeegees were still there, with clean solution even.

Now 7-Eleven can gouge on gas prices even worse since this USA was conveniently located right between two horribly overpriced 7-Eleven sites that routinely priced the worst in town (above the local Chevron/Shells). I always thought this USA did pretty well given it was one of the few locations on the Wal Mart land they had kept open all these years... (a few others are left in UT, NM, WA). Would sure like to see Wal Mart put gas sales in but have not seen one of the old Tesoro sites repurposed into Wal Mart fuel; demolishing seems to be what they do.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I was in Vancouver, WA yesterday and decided to take a side street to avoid traffic. I came across a gas station that has been rebranded to Marathon, first I have ever seen in this area. That station has been a handful of lesser known brands over the years and is a little off the beaten path.

I have yet to see Marathon appear in a high traffic area such as along Interstate 5, or on major streets.

I have also noticed a few Sinclair stations popping up over the last year or two, which is a brand that does not have a heavy presence in this area.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

You may see more Sinclair stations in the next few years. HollyFrontier, which is in the process of acquiring Sinclair, has bought the Shell refinery in Washington
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

jamcool wrote: November 18th, 2021, 8:14 am You may see more Sinclair stations in the next few years. HollyFrontier, which is in the process of acquiring Sinclair, has bought the Shell refinery in Washington
Wonderful news.
Are the Holding family keeping the hotels and resorts?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Yep, I have seen Sinclair popping up in California, Colorado, Arizona and New York. My Dad owned a string of them in NYC ;)

Best Top Tier price around my area.