Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: March 12th, 2020, 11:08 pm The OR Albertsons stations were sold off by Supervalu to a variety of purchasers, one of which was Tesoro. They first converted to USA, then some converted to Mobil, now some have converted to Speedway Express (independent c-store with Speedway gas).
This is what I'd said earlier in the thread. It appears the USA Gas in front of the Baker City, Oregon Albertsons completely shut down rather than convert yet again. As far as I know, this is the only Albertsons Express left in Oregon. Albertsons Gas Station - Hillsboro
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: March 13th, 2020, 2:47 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 12th, 2020, 11:08 pm The OR Albertsons stations were sold off by Supervalu to a variety of purchasers, one of which was Tesoro. They first converted to USA, then some converted to Mobil, now some have converted to Speedway Express (independent c-store with Speedway gas).
This is what I'd said earlier in the thread. It appears the USA Gas in front of the Baker City, Oregon Albertsons completely shut down rather than convert yet again. As far as I know, this is the only Albertsons Express left in Oregon. Albertsons Gas Station - Hillsboro
When Supervalu sold off the gas stations, it kept at least two gas stations. One was that Hillsboro Albertsons. The other was attached to an Acme back on the MD shore.

I wonder why the USA closed in Baker City. It will be interesting to see if Albertsons re-claims the station. The Medford, Klamath Falls, and Grants Pass ones all converted to fake Speedway I mean Speedway Express. I sure wish they were real Speedways.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

A new construction Speedway appears to have opened in Irvine, CA at 5333 University Drive.

Why is gas in CA still close to $3 per gallon? In my area we are at $2 per gallon and the taxes are similar since my county has a .40 or so per gallon additional gas tax above the rest of the state.

I guess the gas/oil is still making money somewhere...
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

More expensive to refine oil in California, fewer sources for crude oil-mostly Alaska and a small in-state amount
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Gas in the San Francisco Bay Area is $3.79 at Chevron. Speedway is a little less but still over $3.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 11:27 am More expensive to refine oil in California, fewer sources for crude oil-mostly Alaska and a small in-state amount
The majority of the gas sold here in Reno comes right from California. The pipeline that feeds the local gas terminal out in Sparks connects to one of the refineries down outside San Francisco.

Some of it may come from terminals east of here that are connected to refineries in Utah sometimes... but most does not.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Paid $2.02 yesterday morning for FULL SERVICE!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Speedway appears to have opened or be about to open a new build site in Mesa, AZ at 7405 East Main Street. Kind of an odd location to pick to enter a market, near one of the few (only?) metro Phoenix Dollar General locations... but it doesn't appear to have much competition... looks like the lot was at one time a gas station but long-vacant...

This is interesting as it would mark the first (and probably will be the only only) Speedway location in metro Phoenix. It would also be the first full new build Speedway site on the west coast. Right before Speedway ends up sold off.

Their other "new build" in the west, in Irvine, CA, is a heavy re-hab of an older gas station. I understand the store is a new building.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The question is does 7-11 keep the Speedway name? They still have Stripes in Texas. And they are selling off over 300 stores ( the Fed Govt may require more sold), which someone like EG Group would be interested in along with Yesway, GPM (fast market) or Parkland which is buying smaller fuel distributors/convenience chains in the West
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Some of those Speedway Express locations are too small to become 7-Eleven stores. Some were formerly USA Gas and only have a cashier booth instead of a convenience store. Those need to be sold off as they cannot build convenience stores on such small parcels.