OSH Closing All Stores

storewanderer

OSH Closing All Stores

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like Lowes is pulling the plug on the entire OSH Chain/Format.

Odd to see this given that they even expanded the chain to FL.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: OSH Closing All Stores

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: August 21st, 2018, 9:30 pm Looks like Lowes is pulling the plug on the entire OSH Chain/Format.

Odd to see this given that they even expanded the chain to FL.
Not so odd when you consider the stores were always empty. Prices were crazy high. Nice patio furniture, though.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

What was Orchard Supply Hardware like, just a Sears hardware department (well, before they sold it anyway) with a merchandise mix like an Ace Hardware? Sure looks that way from Yelp...
Super S

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote: August 21st, 2018, 10:06 pm What was Orchard Supply Hardware like, just a Sears hardware department (well, before they sold it anyway) with a merchandise mix like an Ace Hardware? Sure looks that way from Yelp...
They were more like a "higher end" hardware store. They seemed to be staffed better than a typical hardware store (in some cases Lowe's itself) and had a better than average merchandise mix. Pricing wasn't great though. They did have a few locations around the Portland area. Nice stores, but not something I would drive out of my way to visit.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

kind of a bummer that they are closing. their prices were higher but, they had great customer service. a lot of the stores in the fresno area could be doomed to sit vacant for a while based on the size and location. i'm gonna miss the train calenders they publish every year.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I ran a calculation and see the average OSH Store does about $116k per week in sales. Given the amount of labor they had in these stores, I can see why they were losing money.

I am sure some Ace operators will take some of the better locations over.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

A new OSH opened up a few years ago in Pleasant Hill, California near me. OSH took over a Lucky supermarket.

I will never forgive OSH for that. That Lucky store still had the Jewel Osco interior decor. It opened around 2000 as an Albertsons and was the largest and nicest supermarket in the area. There was a Starbucks cafe inside. Safeway later copied this idea and placed Starbucks cafes into their stores years later. It spurred Safeway to remodel its stores and create the Lifestyle format.

As a Lucky, it was by far the best run Lucky supermarket in Save Mart's entire chain.
It was the crown jewel.

OSH had many helpful employees unlike Home Depot and offered customer service beyond a typical big box store. The selection tended to be more upscale with random fancy things that don't typically sell well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 8:41 pm A new OSH opened up a few years ago in Pleasant Hill, California near me. OSH took over a Lucky supermarket.

I will never forgive OSH for that. That Lucky store still had the Jewel Osco interior decor. It opened around 2000 as an Albertsons and was the largest and nicest supermarket in the area. There was a Starbucks cafe inside. Safeway later copied this idea and placed Starbucks cafes into their stores years later. It spurred Safeway to remodel its stores and create the Lifestyle format.

As a Lucky, it was by far the best run Lucky supermarket in Save Mart's entire chain.
It was the crown jewel.

OSH had many helpful employees unlike Home Depot and offered customer service beyond a typical big box store. The selection tended to be more upscale with random fancy things that don't typically sell well.
OSH was down to 60something stores when Lowe's bought it and it is now up close to 100 stores. So Lowe's opened quite a few new OSH Stores. I don't really understand why they did that, and now are closing it.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 7:18 pm I ran a calculation and see the average OSH Store does about $116k per week in sales. Given the amount of labor they had in these stores, I can see why they were losing money.

I am sure some Ace operators will take some of the better locations over.
I expect Target to take a closer look at some of their locations. They are the right size at +/- 30k sq ft. I can think of several that would fit their urban store model.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 10:57 pm OSH was down to 60something stores when Lowe's bought it and it is now up close to 100 stores. So Lowe's opened quite a few new OSH Stores. I don't really understand why they did that, and now are closing it.
Because for Lowe's, it's easier to concentrate on one chain than to worry about two. OSH and Lowe's couldn't have been more different, and they had to make a business decision. It's a shame they couldn't have sold it off (again).