Amazon 4-star store

arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Amazon 4-star store

Post by arizonaguy »

Here's Amazon's newest retail concept:

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/shopping/amazon-4-star

This looks like it could be a viable concept (especially if the product mix is tailored to the surrounding demographics).

Some more photos are here: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/27/amazon- ... -look.html
pseudo3d

Re: Amazon 4-star store

Post by pseudo3d »

arizonaguy wrote: September 27th, 2018, 2:28 pm Here's Amazon's newest retail concept:

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/shopping/amazon-4-star

This looks like it could be a viable concept (especially if the product mix is tailored to the surrounding demographics).

Some more photos are here: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/27/amazon- ... -look.html
The two questions that Amazon would need to work on for brick and mortar is can they keep things in stock and can provide decent customer service. Amazon practically built their empire on the fact that other retailers broke at least one of those cardinal rules.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Amazon has been experimenting with retail for a while now, with the Amazon Books stores (currently 15 locations, including one in New York) and more recently the Amazon Go stores. From what I can see this is basically the shell of an Amazon Books store filled with a different different mix of products (As you would expect the Amazon Books store sells mostly books with a little bit of tech on the side, there seems to be few books in this store.)
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Brian Lutz wrote: September 28th, 2018, 7:18 am Amazon has been experimenting with retail for a while now, with the Amazon Books stores (currently 15 locations, including one in New York) and more recently the Amazon Go stores. From what I can see this is basically the shell of an Amazon Books store filled with a different different mix of products (As you would expect the Amazon Books store sells mostly books with a little bit of tech on the side, there seems to be few books in this store.)
I believe the Amazon Book stores were never meant to be bookstores but a showcase of Amazon tech such as Kindle, Fire and Alexa so that people can feel them, try them, and purchase them much the same way that Apple stores function. An "Alexa" only store would be quite small and without other merchandise, it may not attract much of a crowd so books were added to make it more of a destination. The Soho location was thought to originally be a bookstore just like all the others. I believe Amazon decided to try a new format and see if it works. Still keep the focus on Amazon tech but surround it with other random products from the site instead of books and see how it works. I'm looking a photos from several sites of the new store. The product mix seems completely random. What is it a destination for? Why would I go there? What will I find on a regular basis there. Amazon is a company that can afford to experiment but I believe it's really all about showcasing their tech and not about selling books for 4-star products.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

That may be true, but at the same time I've also seen a number of Amazon kiosks in local malls that sell only devices. If they're trying to sell devices they don't need a whole store to do that. Microsoft does the same thing locally; they have a couple of full-fledged Microsoft stores in Bellevue Square and University Village, but Southcenter and Alderwood have Microsoft kiosks that sell mostly Surface and Xbox devices and little else.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

While this is an interesting concept, unless the four-star ratings are going to be heavily scrutinized before the products are included, I wouldn't bother. I run all highly-rated products on Amazon through Fakespot before I buy. You'd be surprised how many four- and five-star-rated products have 90% or more fake reviews.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Brian Lutz wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:19 am That may be true, but at the same time I've also seen a number of Amazon kiosks in local malls that sell only devices. If they're trying to sell devices they don't need a whole store to do that. Microsoft does the same thing locally; they have a couple of full-fledged Microsoft stores in Bellevue Square and University Village, but Southcenter and Alderwood have Microsoft kiosks that sell mostly Surface and Xbox devices and little else.
Microsoft does something similar. The stores and kiosks mainly exist to promote and sell the Surface line. All the other stuff is filler. Note how empty many of the Microsoft stores are. I keep expecting them to close them down. Outside of the NYC store (which took years to get permitted and built), there haven't been any new or remodeled stores opening in years. That's a pretty good sign that the chain may have its days numbered.