Virgin Megastores Closing

Alpha8472

Virgin Megastores Closing

Post by Alpha8472 »

Virgin has announced that their stores will be closing.

I know that music stores have had it hard since people have been downloading music off of the internet for years.

However, this does not explain the San Francisco Virgin Store. That store is packed with customers. San Francisco is a very tourist heavy city and the store does jam-packed business. Literally, the crowds are insane! I have read that the store is profitable, but Forever 21 would pay much more money to lease the location. It appears that money is to be made in real estate.

In San Francisco, Bell Markets for example are closing down. The supermarkets were very busy, but it turns out that the owners figured that they would get more money by selling the land or leasing it to a higher paying tenant.

Virgin was always expensive. You can find music for cheaper online. Even the independent music stores in San Francisco have more of a selection and better prices. However, the clueless tourists would buy music at Virgin like crazy. They simply did not know there were better stores.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Virgin Megastores Closing

Post by Brian Lutz »

The only Virgin Megastores I've been to have all been in touristy locations (there used to be one at the Forum Shops in Vegas, and up until the closing there's one in the Downtown Disney area at Disneyworld.) Never been to one other than when I was on vacation. Then again, I don't buy CDs much anymore (ZunePass takes care of my music these days) and although they had some good video game deals when I was there in December, I didn't feel like hauling the stuff home.
tesg
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Virgin Megastores Closing

Post by tesg »

Salt Lake City's store closed at least a year ago. It was in the Gateway mall west of the downtown core.

I'd also been in one at Grapevine Mills in the Dallas area a few years ago.

I don't think I ever bought anything at either one. As previously noted...expensive...