Costco opening its first "Business Center" in the Dallas area

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Costco opening its first "Business Center" in the Dallas area

Post by SamSpade »

... inside a former Sam's Club warehouse.
Here's what Costco is doing with the old Sam's Club on Park Lane
Courtesy of Maria Halkias, the excellent retail reporter for the Dallas Morning News
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Costco opening its first "Business Center" in the Dallas area

Post by architect »

SamSpade wrote: April 30th, 2019, 8:15 pm ... inside a former Sam's Club warehouse.
Here's what Costco is doing with the old Sam's Club on Park Lane
Courtesy of Maria Halkias, the excellent retail reporter for the Dallas Morning News
I actually live near this store and it is an interesting move indeed. The Sam's Club that was formerly at this location moved to the east in the late 2000's and joined an under-construction Walmart in a two-story combo building with attached parking garage. Since then, the original Sam's has sat vacant, mostly due to the demographics in the surrounding Vickery Meadow neighborhood which skew extremely low-income and are heavily dominated by refugee groups. The store also has poor visibility from surrounding major thoroughfares and is very much out of sight, out of mind. Although this business center may be successful at reducing traffic to the always crowded Coit Rd. location, the surrounding neighborhood definitely does not fit typical Costco demographics and may be difficult to drive customers into unless if Costco heavily publicizes and markets it effectively.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Looking at the addresses of their other Business Center locations, at least some are in areas that don't seem like retail hotspots. I would imagine, though, that they are close to other businesses that supply unglamorous services and products, which would be where you expect to find something that directs itself to small business.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

buckguy wrote: May 1st, 2019, 12:15 pm Looking at the addresses of their other Business Center locations, at least some are in areas that don't seem like retail hotspots. I would imagine, though, that they are close to other businesses that supply unglamorous services and products, which would be where you expect to find something that directs itself to small business.
This right here..the stores as they are appropriately named, are targeting small businesses, which are probably a plenty in these kinds of areas. The hours are very limited ('business hours', closed on Sundays), the products are more industrial in nature, and the stores don't have many services, so they are unappealing to the average Costco shopper (although the membership is the same). There was one location in an iffy area of Georgia that was converted to a Business Center not too long ago (the regular store relocated somewhere else).
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I don't know about the other Business Center locations, but I do know the one in Lynnwood WA does at least have a gas station (which makes sense because it's on Highway 99.) I'm pretty sure that was originally a regular Costco that was replaced when Costco opened another store over near Alderwood Mall. And although it's not a true business center I know that the Costco in Tukwila (Store #6, one of the older locations which is a fair bit larger than a typical Costco) also carries a fairly large selection of restaurant supplies and foodervice packages, closer to what you would find at a Cash-and-Carry type place than a typical Costco.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Great follow up about Sam's in D-FW:
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... wn-dallas/