Wawa

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Wawa

Post by SamSpade »

Anyone else been to one? Definitely a nice fresh food at low price option here in Philadelphia. I'm sure that's part of why I've not seen any Subway shops so far.

The northwestern United States really has the worst gas stations / mini-markets.
storewanderer

Re: Wawa

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: May 6th, 2019, 2:43 pm Anyone else been to one? Definitely a nice fresh food at low price option here in Philadelphia. I'm sure that's part of why I've not seen any Subway shops so far.

The northwestern United States really has the worst gas stations / mini-markets.
Yes, Wawa is pretty good. Clean and consistent. Safe brightly lit sites. Sheetz is also pretty good back east; similar concept to Wawa. Then Quik Trip is also around if you go more South which is my personal favorite for a variety of reasons (like the 8 flavors of brewed iced tea).

California/Oregon/Washington absolutely have the worst convenience stores in the US. At least in OR/WA there are a few Maveriks which raise the bar a little. Then in Eastern Washington there are some Holidays and they also raise the bar a little. But the rest is generally rubbish, primarily dealer sites affiliated with the various oil companies as the oil companies stopped having corporate operated sites over the years in the west (except the few scattered corporate Chevrons, which are at least usually very clean sites but still nothing special). This is due to a lack of large corporate operated chains operating convenience stores in those markets.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Wawa

Post by mbz321 »

Wawa pretty much dominates the convenience store market in Southeastern PA and surrounding areas, and has been dominating the gasoline business in the area too. Old non-gas stores are quickly getting replaced (except in downtown areas of Philadelphia, and now in D.C., where they have gone back to opening non-gasoline stores). Their food quality has declined over the years, but is still quick, fairly inexpensive, and beats a fast food restaurant. They were one of the first places to implement touch screen ordering in the early 2000's, and if anything, it forced them to hire more employees as it became so convenient to order that business grew quite a bit.