All Dressbarn stores to close

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

All Dressbarn stores to close

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/ ... -132836103

Their parent company (which also owns Ann Taylor and Lane Bryant) says the stores aren't making enough money to keep them open, and wants to focus on their more profitable brands.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: All Dressbarn stores to close

Post by babs »

Brian Lutz wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:39 am https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/ ... -132836103

Their parent company (which also owns Ann Taylor and Lane Bryant) says the stores aren't making enough money to keep them open, and wants to focus on their more profitable brands.
A lot of their stores changed their name to Roz and Ali. Are those closing too?
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

This is quite weird. They're just closing a chain outright with no precipitated closing rounds, bankruptcies or troubles brewing? Now that's odd, unless it becomes the norm within this retail apocalypse we live in.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They sold Maurice's. I would guess they probably wanted to sell Dress Barn and when that finally did not happen they decided to just shut the thing down.

It is kind of odd no events like you describe took place prior, but maybe they were trying to paint a rosy picture to sell it. The Dress Barn in Reno is under 2 years old and the (more vacant than most centers around town) shopping center it moved into was very proud to get it. I guess that space can go empty again.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I actually saw one of their stores which had recently closed about a year ago in Vancouver, WA, so they were quietly closing some stores.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Naming your stores “Dress Barn” could be the reason why you are losing sales
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There was a Dress Barn near me once. I never went inside, but just from the name I knew it was a really awful place.

It did not last long. A place that only sells dresses is not going to make much money. Ross and Marshall's make tons of money, because they sell a variety of items for men and women at low prices. Dress Barn has an image problem, and the name alone is a big turn off.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

There was one here that was open probably, about 10 years. Then it became Ulta Beauty.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 28th, 2019, 11:23 pm There was a Dress Barn near me once. I never went inside, but just from the name I knew it was a really awful place.

It did not last long. A place that only sells dresses is not going to make much money. Ross and Marshall's make tons of money, because they sell a variety of items for men and women at low prices. Dress Barn has an image problem, and the name alone is a big turn off.
I think they actually sell clothes other than dresses. No men's clothing or kid's clothing that I saw, so that certainly limits the target audience. The one that opened in Reno is perfectly nice inside. Nothing upscale, but by no means is it cheap or barn-like.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Roz & Ali will be closing, too. The company has had an executive suite shakeup and needed a way to raise their stock price. The cheaper end of the market is probably oversaturated at this point and they reach a lot of the same demographic with their other chains.