Costco closing Christown Spectrum store in Phoenix

storewanderer

Re: Costco closing Christown Spectrum store in Phoenix

Post by storewanderer »

Having to push a Costco cart through a mall sounds like a real exercise in patience... what was the mall developer thinking?

Are people really going to stop in mall shops going to/from Costco? I guess even if a few people do then it is a win for the mall...
klkla

Post by klkla »

There is a dedicated entrance for Costco in the back of the mall with hundreds of parking spaces. Does that entrance go directly inside the store or do you still have to go through the mall? From the photo it appears to be a direct entrance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5215733 ... 384!8i8192
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote: February 16th, 2020, 1:48 pm There is a dedicated entrance for Costco in the back of the mall with hundreds of parking spaces. Does that entrance go directly inside the store or do you still have to go through the mall? From the photo it appears to be a direct entrance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5215733 ... 384!8i8192
It isn't a dedicated entrance, but you don't exactly "go through the mall," either. You walk into the entrance, pass through a corridor between the west wall of Costco and the east wall of Penny's and arrive at the entrance to Costco's store. This entrance is in the mall. That said, we are not talking about a huge mall, but you do have to navigate a Costco jumbo shopping cart through people who are going from JC Penney and Big 5 Sporting Goods to the mall shops and/or their cars.

While the parking lot does have hundreds of spaces, it is very poorly laid out. The lanes are narrow and the spaces are too small. Plus, there is little room to navigate the jumbo shopping cart between parked cars to get to the lane in which your car is parked. IMO, the Walmart site is better suited for a Costco.
klkla

Post by klkla »

rwsandiego wrote: February 16th, 2020, 5:15 pm It isn't a dedicated entrance, but you don't exactly "go through the mall," either. You walk into the entrance, pass through a corridor between the west wall of Costco and the east wall of Penny's and arrive at the entrance to Costco's store. This entrance is in the mall. That said, we are not talking about a huge mall, but you do have to navigate a Costco jumbo shopping cart through people who are going from JC Penney and Big 5 Sporting Goods to the mall shops and/or their cars.

While the parking lot does have hundreds of spaces, it is very poorly laid out. The lanes are narrow and the spaces are too small. Plus, there is little room to navigate the jumbo shopping cart between parked cars to get to the lane in which your car is parked. IMO, the Walmart site is better suited for a Costco.
Thanks for the answer. Costco's parking can be a PITA in best the of locations, so this one doesn't sound optimal.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote: February 16th, 2020, 8:25 pm
rwsandiego wrote: February 16th, 2020, 5:15 pm It isn't a dedicated entrance, but you don't exactly "go through the mall," either. You walk into the entrance, pass through a corridor between the west wall of Costco and the east wall of Penny's and arrive at the entrance to Costco's store. This entrance is in the mall. That said, we are not talking about a huge mall, but you do have to navigate a Costco jumbo shopping cart through people who are going from JC Penney and Big 5 Sporting Goods to the mall shops and/or their cars.

Thanks for the answer. Costco's parking can be a PITA in best the of locations, so this one doesn't sound optimal.
You are welcome.

If you ever want to amuse yourself, drive down to Mission Valley in San Diego and watch the fun at Fenton Marketplace on a Saturday afternoon. It has Costco, Lowes, and IKEA. I advise parking along Rio San Diego Drive, walking over, grabbing a coffee at Starbucks, and hanging out in front of the library next to IKEA. When I lived there I'd park in front of Lowes (which isn't too terribly bad - their parking area is better-designed than the rest of the shopping center) and hit all three of them.

But, back to the topic at hand. I'm sad to see this Costco close because the employees are much nicer than the ones at Arcadia Crossing, which is the same distance from me but in the opposite direction. Maybe they will all transfer to that store.

A fella can dream, can't he?