Pier 1 Imports Files for Bankruptcy Protection

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Pier 1 Imports Files for Bankruptcy Protection

Post by rwsandiego »

Between the 1980's and mid-200's I was a Pier 1 fan. The quality was great and I liked their design sense. Aside from a pair of nightstands last year, the last major purchase consisted of a floor lamp, sofa table, curtains, pendant lamps, and a couple of C-tables in 2008. Since then, the quality declined and the prices increased. Not exactly a winning combination.

The afore-mentioned nightstands were a fluke. The nightstands that matched my Macy's bed were too big for the room. Pier 1 had a line that coordinated with the bed, but those nightstands were too large as well. The sales associate suggested the ones I bought and here we are. Aside from that, nothing at Pier 1 has appealed to me in twelve years. Based on their outcome it appears no one else found them terribly appealing.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

rwsandiego wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 9:04 pm Between the 1980's and mid-200's I was a Pier 1 fan. The quality was great and I liked their design sense. Aside from a pair of nightstands last year, the last major purchase consisted of a floor lamp, sofa table, curtains, pendant lamps, and a couple of C-tables in 2008. Since then, the quality declined and the prices increased. Not exactly a winning combination.

The afore-mentioned nightstands were a fluke. The nightstands that matched my Macy's bed were too big for the room. Pier 1 had a line that coordinated with the bed, but those nightstands were too large as well. The sales associate suggested the ones I bought and here we are. Aside from that, nothing at Pier 1 has appealed to me in twelve years. Based on their outcome it appears no one else found them terribly appealing.
I think they really got squeezed in the middle and fell into the same trap that many other retailers have and couldn't figure out a way out. On the high end, stores like Pottery Barn, RH and others took customers that could pay more. Then there were lower prices options like Homegoods, Target, Kohls, Ikea, Cost Plus, and even Walmart who chipped away from the lower end. Plus the online players. It's what happening to many retailers and retail fragmented into smaller segments.
klkla

Post by klkla »

rwsandiego wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 9:04 pm Between the 1980's and mid-200's I was a Pier 1 fan. The quality was great and I liked their design sense. Aside from a pair of nightstands last year, the last major purchase consisted of a floor lamp, sofa table, curtains, pendant lamps, and a couple of C-tables in 2008. Since then, the quality declined and the prices increased. Not exactly a winning combination.

I agree. They just stopped innovating and became too complacent. People became bored with the stores.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

BillyGr wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 5:51 pm
TW-Upstate NY wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 8:42 am
storewanderer wrote: May 20th, 2020, 10:35 pm I am not sure I've ever actually bought anything from Pier 1
I think there is/was one at least one that I know of I'm going to say in the Schenectady/Rotterdam area but don't quote me on that. Think I recall seeing it in one of the plazas there. Not even sure it's survived to this point.
Don't remember one there (but it's certainly possible) - the couple that are still left in the area are Albany (Wolf Road) and Clifton Park (in front of what was the Clifton Country Mall, now Clifton Park Center). Both freestanding buildings.
Pier 1 did have some distinctive stand-alone buildings, but I haven't seen a Pier 1 still occupying that sort of building in years. Most of them were in strip malls.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Pier 1 here is in a standalone building, with its own parking lot. Rather modern looking building - open roof, etc probably built around the mid 1990s, right after the mall.

It was always a bit odd to me, while it was across from the mall, it was just that place you tended to forget. I probably had only been in there twice, last time I'd guess probably 2006 or so!
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

pseudo3d wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 6:24 pm
BillyGr wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 5:51 pm
TW-Upstate NY wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 8:42 am I think there is/was one at least one that I know of I'm going to say in the Schenectady/Rotterdam area but don't quote me on that. Think I recall seeing it in one of the plazas there. Not even sure it's survived to this point.
Don't remember one there (but it's certainly possible) - the couple that are still left in the area are Albany (Wolf Road) and Clifton Park (in front of what was the Clifton Country Mall, now Clifton Park Center). Both freestanding buildings.
Pier 1 did have some distinctive stand-alone buildings, but I haven't seen a Pier 1 still occupying that sort of building in years. Most of them were in strip malls.
Just looked on the street view function. The Wolf Road one is a fairly plain beige building, but the Clifton Park one is exactly like the photo in that article!

Also - while searching I typed in Schenectady and the one there was on Campbell Road, across from the Rotterdam Square Mall (now ViaPort Rotterdam), but that one did apparently close at some previous point. Current photos show a strip of undescript building there, not sure exactly which part they were in (shown are Aarons Rental, Anytime Fitness and a dental office, with one small spot empty whenever the street photo was taken).
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

BillyGr wrote: May 24th, 2020, 2:18 pm Also - while searching I typed in Schenectady and the one there was on Campbell Road, across from the Rotterdam Square Mall (now ViaPort Rotterdam), but that one did apparently close at some previous point. Current photos show a strip of undescript building there, not sure exactly which part they were in (shown are Aarons Rental, Anytime Fitness and a dental office, with one small spot empty whenever the street photo was taken).
There you go-that's the one! On the same side as Office Max and Dollar Tree with a BJ's Wholesale Club a little further down the road.