AMC Theaters expected to file for bankruptcy

pseudo3d

Re: AMC Theaters expected to file for bankruptcy

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote: April 18th, 2020, 5:55 pm Interestingly, in DFW, AMC and Cinemark are the dominant players, with Regal operating a more sparse selection of theaters around the market (mostly in lower-end areas). Their may be a bit of local bias here though, as Cinemark is headquartered in Plano, and most of their local theaters are run at a level indicative of that (recliner seating, upscale dining/concessions options, etc.). Studio Movie Grill is also headquartered in DFW, while Alamo Drafthouse also takes a substantial chunk of the indie market, so there is quite a bit of competition here. AMC's theater base is split down the middle from extremely upscale (Village on the Parkway in Addison, Northpark 15, etc.) to practically falling apart. However, if AMC was to liquidate, their would be at least a decent amount of their locations which would be picked up by other operators (particularly upscale mall/lifestyle center-based locations such as Northpark, Stonebriar, Firewheel, Grapevine Mills, and the Parks at Arlington, along with the aforementioned Village on the Parkway). This trend also tends to be the case in the other major Texas metros, with both Cinemark and AMC having a dominant market presence.

As far as converting theaters for other uses goes, this is much more difficult with modern theater buildings, as once the stadium seating foundations and concrete walls are removed, there is little useful building left behind. Older theaters were much easier to convert, as a lack of stadium seating allowed for drops in the concrete floors to simply be filled in.
I went to college (Blinn) that was converted from a non-stadium seating multiplex theater. Structurally, nothing changed (I think that the emergency exit doors were added after conversion) except replacing the screen with a smaller screen used for projection.

I do think the movie theater model isn't fundamentally flawed, though—people like going to movies, and some of the biggest hits of all time have been in the last 10 years. Yeah, China and other overseas markets contribute a lions share to that, but some sort of "post-cinema" future is still a bit farfetched.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

pseudo3d wrote: April 19th, 2020, 1:14 am
architect wrote: April 18th, 2020, 5:55 pm Interestingly, in DFW, AMC and Cinemark are the dominant players, with Regal operating a more sparse selection of theaters around the market (mostly in lower-end areas). Their may be a bit of local bias here though, as Cinemark is headquartered in Plano, and most of their local theaters are run at a level indicative of that (recliner seating, upscale dining/concessions options, etc.). Studio Movie Grill is also headquartered in DFW, while Alamo Drafthouse also takes a substantial chunk of the indie market, so there is quite a bit of competition here. AMC's theater base is split down the middle from extremely upscale (Village on the Parkway in Addison, Northpark 15, etc.) to practically falling apart. However, if AMC was to liquidate, their would be at least a decent amount of their locations which would be picked up by other operators (particularly upscale mall/lifestyle center-based locations such as Northpark, Stonebriar, Firewheel, Grapevine Mills, and the Parks at Arlington, along with the aforementioned Village on the Parkway). This trend also tends to be the case in the other major Texas metros, with both Cinemark and AMC having a dominant market presence.

As far as converting theaters for other uses goes, this is much more difficult with modern theater buildings, as once the stadium seating foundations and concrete walls are removed, there is little useful building left behind. Older theaters were much easier to convert, as a lack of stadium seating allowed for drops in the concrete floors to simply be filled in.
I went to college (Blinn) that was converted from a non-stadium seating multiplex theater. Structurally, nothing changed (I think that the emergency exit doors were added after conversion) except replacing the screen with a smaller screen used for projection.

I do think the movie theater model isn't fundamentally flawed, though—people like going to movies, and some of the biggest hits of all time have been in the last 10 years. Yeah, China and other overseas markets contribute a lions share to that, but some sort of "post-cinema" future is still a bit farfetched.
I think some people are being over-dramatic. They seem to want a world where we sit at home for work, play and shopping and never go out unless maybe, possibly to visit friends and loved ones once or twice a year.

While it's a bit interesting and very, very ironic to me how much of this was being pushed hard just before the virus came (such as watching new movies online at home, online shopping, and delivery, video appointments with doctors, many of these things are what just about every other commercial was about in the few months pre-virus.)

Basically all most companies had to do was add the word "contactless" to the sales pitches they already had, and they were ready to go post-virus.

Some people seem to think this is all the best thing since sliced bread and seem really interested in living this way entirely.

One problem, it's not healthy, they don't realize you do get cabin fever, and let's face it, there are plenty of ways to see that having all of your social interactions online does result in development and social issues down the road.

I think people will go back to many industries, especially in America, that are at the moment seemingly totally over. People tend to forget things after a while, and go back to their old patterns too.

The bigger thing is, will these industries be able to survive through the downturn in business long enough to still be here when people eventually start going back more often? I suppose even if the current players do not, there will be some to come and fill the gap whenever the demand is back.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: April 19th, 2020, 7:18 am

While it's a bit interesting and very, very ironic to me how much of this was being pushed hard just before the virus came (such as watching new movies online at home, online shopping, and delivery, video appointments with doctors, many of these things are what just about every other commercial was about in the few months pre-virus.)
Well, the reason I thought this contactless/video from home stuff was being pushed hard just before the virus came was due to the ongoing labor shortages and trying to flatten the delivery method to the customer.

But you do have to wonder about the timing of the whole thing.

Looking at the protests this past weekend, it is very clear that many people are fed up with what has been going on and want to go back out to have their lives again. People are talking to one another in stores and the common theme out of everyone is pretty much the same, they want to go back to work, they want to put this behind themselves, etc.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I am sure AMC, other cinemas, stores, and people want everything to go back to normal. People want life to return to normal so they can work and make money. However, there is not enough testing to know who has coronavirus and who does not. There are not enough masks for healthcare workers and not enough for regular people too.

Emirates airlines tested passengers before a flight from Dubai to Tunisia and it only took 10 minutes for results. This told passengers if they had antibodies to the virus.

If we had tests in 10 minutes, the entire country would be able to at least get partially back to work. We need rapid testing for everyone that wants it so we can find out who is infected and then we can isolate them and move on with our lives. We also need enough masks for everyone. Once this is done, things will be all set for going back to work.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 19th, 2020, 9:42 pm I am sure AMC, other cinemas, stores, and people want everything to go back to normal. People want life to return to normal so they can work and make money. However, there is not enough testing to know who has coronavirus and who does not. There are not enough masks for healthcare workers and not enough for regular people too.

Emirates airlines tested passengers before a flight from Dubai to Tunisia and it only took 10 minutes for results. This told passengers if they had antibodies to the virus.

If we had tests in 10 minutes, the entire country would be able to at least get partially back to work. We need rapid testing for everyone that wants it so we can find out who is infected and then we can isolate them and move on with our lives. We also need enough masks for everyone. Once this is done, things will be all set for going back to work.
I am not sure how well people would submit to being tested for the virus before entering a movie theater (or mall, etc.). I think a lot of customers would probably just not go to the place.

I am seeing some real makeshift masks as I am out and more people are wearing masks. Masks that do not cover the nose (don't masks need to cover the nose to be effective?). Masks made out of what looks like nylon material (I am not really sure how much that thin material keeps in). I am also a little concerned with the hand touching of masks and people taking masks on/off and reusing the same mask. It seems like their hands and or their mask may be getting contaminated. While driving I see a few people with a mask around their neck that they move down to the around their neck then pull over their face again as they go in/out of stores.

Properly used, the masks will help. People in the healthcare field know how to properly use masks in a way that protects themselves and those who they come into contact with. Based on what I am seeing out in public, the general public and many retail employees do not seem to know. Are people washing these fabric makeshift masks daily? Do they need to be washed daily? Improperly used or improperly constructed masks, I am a little concerned what is going to happen. I guess we will see.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

If they could make quick and easy saliva tests, it could become common place. For example, if they do get a saliva test, this could be done before entering a movie theater. Movie theaters are enclosed spaces where you are breathing in other people's exhaled air for 2 hours. This is the worst place for spreading and catching coronavirus. Airplane rides are even worse with the average flight being several hours.

Other countries do not have this reusable cloth mask problem. China and other Asian countries have enough disposable masks for everyone. They do not use cloth reusable masks in most Asian countries. You are supposed to use a mask once and discard it. Reusing a mask spreads disease worse than anything else. People touch their faces several times an hour. The mask is meant to keep people from touching their faces and spreading the disease from their hands to their eyes, nose, and mouth. The point of entry of the virus is mostly through the eyes, nose, and mouth. The mask is supposed to be discard if wet, soiled, or damaged. People should be using a new mask several times a day. With the mask shortage in the U.S. this is impossible.

People should also be using hand sanitizer constantly throughout the day. Every time you touch your mask, you should use hand sanitizer. Hospitals have hand sanitizer stations every few feet in the hallways and in every patient room. Before this mask shortage, a nurse would use a new mask every single time the nurse would enter a different patient room. A single nurse would use dozens of masks. This is to prevent spreading diseases from one patient to another. Now this cannot be done due to the mask shortage. The U.S. is the only country that has a mask shortage of this magnitude.

The main purpose of masks is to prevent germs from being spread from the mask wearer by coughing, sneezing or talking. Only the N95 filtration masks are the ones that prevent the person wearing the mask from catching other people's germs.

Beware of people wearing those N95 masks with the one way valves. They look like little nozzles. That one way valve opens up when you exhale and sprays out unfiltered exhaled air. These masks with nozzles should be banned. They are unacceptable for hospital use and they are only used for work such as painting when you are doing physically demanding work and need to exhale tons of air.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

I'd suspect most people are wearing what they are wearing as that may be all they were able to find/buy/make quickly when it was announced in many areas that you needed to wear one starting a day or two later.

In terms of the testing, they were (apparently) doing some testing for the antibodies here starting yesterday at an assortment of supermarkets to get an idea who/how many may have had this without knowing.
They chose markets since that was the easiest place to find a random assortment of people these days, and since this is a minimal blood test (basically no harder to do than what people do to check blood sugar, sometimes several times a day - the only thing is this one requires a day or two to get results) there wasn't the issue of doing it in a food store, any more than it would be for a supermarket pharmacy to give shots.
Also, from postings, those places doing it had no problem getting people to take the test, maybe more keeping people from overwhelming their capacity.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 2:50 am
Beware of people wearing those N95 masks with the one way valves. They look like little nozzles. That one way valve opens up when you exhale and sprays out unfiltered exhaled air. These masks with nozzles should be banned. They are unacceptable for hospital use and they are only used for work such as painting when you are doing physically demanding work and need to exhale tons of air.
How can you tell if it is a one way valve?
https://www.buyemp.com/product/dukal-n9 ... valve-cone
https://www.pyramexsafety.com/PYRM10VC

Is it any mask with the plastic piece on the front? Or only the flat plastic piece like the above two photos? Or?

I saw a ton of people wearing marks with the plastic on the front last time I went into Wal Mart...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The 3M ones with the one way valve are what I saw. I bought them myself a while ago, but was told they are not allowed in some stores.

Any mask with a valve is not being allowed at several stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 8:18 pm The 3M ones with the one way valve are what I saw. I bought them myself a while ago, but was told they are not allowed in some stores.

Any mask with a valve is not being allowed at several stores.
This is going to get rather complicated to assess what is a "proper" mask... but this one way valve mask sounds outright dangerous yet I could see many people find them more comfortable since they would allow the "hot air" that typically collects under a mask to escape.