Gas Stations and Coronavirus

Super S

Re: Gas Stations and Coronavirus

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: May 10th, 2020, 10:29 pm
The other tip off of a corporate Chevron is there is no cash price/credit price for gas. All payment types are the same high price.
This is not entirely true. I know of several franchises that have one price for both cash and credit. Most are mid-to-high priced, but I also know of one next to the Great Wolf Lodge that is consistently one of the lowest priced Chevron stations along I-5 in Washington.

As for EMV pumps, Many of these stations have replaced pumps in the last couple years, but my Chevron card, which expires this summer, does not have EMV and since this is how I usually pay I have not noticed if the new pumps have EMV capability. It's possible they support both. I guess I will know when I get my new card.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:21 pm

This is not entirely true. I know of several franchises that have one price for both cash and credit. Most are mid-to-high priced, but I also know of one next to the Great Wolf Lodge that is consistently one of the lowest priced Chevron stations along I-5 in Washington.

As for EMV pumps, Many of these stations have replaced pumps in the last couple years, but my Chevron card, which expires this summer, does not have EMV and since this is how I usually pay I have not noticed if the new pumps have EMV capability. It's possible they support both. I guess I will know when I get my new card.
Well, in CA, the cash price/credit price thing is very common. Even large chain stations like Safeway and 7-Eleven engage in the practice in CA when they do not in other places (at least, Safeway stopped it here in Reno... doesn't do it in Las Vegas or AZ either). The stations that don't price their gas that way, stand out... which is one way the corporate Chevrons stand out.

Here in Reno area we have many different people running Chevron Stations and like 2 of the 30+ stations have a cash price/credit price and none are corporate owned. It is not as common of a practice here, at this time.

The Chehalis Tribe owns the Chevron next to Great Wolf Lodge, and it is probably the highest volume Chevron in the NW.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:16 pm
Super S wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Well, in CA, the cash price/credit price thing is very common. Even large chain stations like Safeway and 7-Eleven engage in the practice in CA when they do not in other places (at least, Safeway stopped it here in Reno... doesn't do it in Las Vegas or AZ either). The stations that don't price their gas that way, stand out... which is one way the corporate Chevrons stand out.

Here in Reno area we have many different people running Chevron Stations and like 2 of the 30+ stations have a cash price/credit price and none are corporate owned. It is not as common of a practice here, at this time.

The Chehalis Tribe owns the Chevron next to Great Wolf Lodge, and it is probably the highest volume Chevron in the NW.
Most Chevrons around here also have different prices for cash/card, but the Chevron card is same as cash at those locations. Where I live, both types of Chevron stations exist. Other brands of gas do this as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I went into a Speedway today and they now have all cups and lids and straws for soda/coffee/icee kept behind the cashier, supposedly due to "health orders." This was in California specifically Placer County. Is this happening elsewhere?

I do not think this is safe at all. I don't want the person who is touching money touching my drink cup or giving me the lid/straw. The dispensers are such that other customers should not really contaminate these things when getting them (especially the cups) so I fail to see how having the employee who is touching money helps anything at all. I didn't even purchase due to concerns with this.

I have seen convenience stores do this sort of thing in the past due to issues with cup theft/waste but it is very rare.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:36 pm I went into a Speedway today and they now have all cups and lids and straws for soda/coffee/icee kept behind the cashier, supposedly due to "health orders." This was in California specifically Placer County. Is this happening elsewhere?

I do not think this is safe at all. I don't want the person who is touching money touching my drink cup or giving me the lid/straw. The dispensers are such that other customers should not really contaminate these things when getting them (especially the cups) so I fail to see how having the employee who is touching money helps anything at all. I didn't even purchase due to concerns with this.

I have seen convenience stores do this sort of thing in the past due to issues with cup theft/waste but it is very rare.
Haven't noticed anything like that in NY. All the chains that have self serve for cold drinks and/or coffee have left it as it was so far (though I haven't been in a Speedway since a week ago Sunday, so they could have changed since then).

The only change was that they requested people not use their own mugs for the time being.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:36 pm I went into a Speedway today and they now have all cups and lids and straws for soda/coffee/icee kept behind the cashier, supposedly due to "health orders." This was in California specifically Placer County. Is this happening elsewhere?
I've seen that here in Los Angeles at 7-11, Carl's Jr. and Subway.

The cashier hands you the cup, straw and lid that are ready already to go on the back counter. It seems more sanitary than leaving them out where all the customers are fumbling with around with them.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I saw it at restaurants here in FL before they were drive thru only.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to 7-Eleven for a Slurpee and the employee put out a box of cheap food service gloves and made me put on gloves to operate the Slurpee machine. The cups were behind the counter with the lids already attached for customers to pick up.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I noticed in Reno some 7-Elevens have no barrier at the counter, some have plexiglass, and one has a suspended clear shower curtain. But I didn't pay attention to the cup situation

Maverik still lets you take your own cup. So does Jacksons. So does TA Truck Stop. At least, as of last week...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

A 7-Eleven near me has fresh donuts in factory sealed plastic wrap. It looks much more professional than the ziplock bags that Safeway uses. This way if someone were to tamper with the donut, you would know that the seal is torn.

The local plastic store is supplying plexiglass to many businesses. The 7-Eleven has large sheets of plexiglass hanging from wires from the ceiling.