Foot Locker Moves Stores Out of Malls Due to Coronavirus

Alpha8472

Foot Locker Moves Stores Out of Malls Due to Coronavirus

Post by Alpha8472 »

Foot Locker is accelerating its plans to move its stores out of malls due to coronavirus. For the past 2 years, Foot Locker's strategy has been to open more Power Stores. These are off-mall stores that are 4 times larger than their mall stores.

The closures of indoor malls has kept Foot Locker stores closed. Outdoor strip malls are now seen as the company's only hope. Coronavirus is expected to lead to the permanent closure of many indoor malls. Customers are frightened of enclosed indoor malls and tiny cramped mall stores. The company says that street level stores are performing the best.

This could lead to a rush of retailers battling for the most lucrative spots in a select number of outdoor strip malls.

Foot Locker is also considering investing in more sports apparel instead of shoes for its larger Power Stores. The current crisis has highlighted Foot Locker's over-relience on footwear. The company is also looking into pop up retail or nomadic retail.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Foot Locker Moves Stores Out of Malls Due to Coronavirus

Post by cjd »

The one here (in the mall) reopened pretty quickly. I heard all kinds of reasons people didn't like indoor malls, prior to this virus (possibility of crime in enclosed areas, kids left unattended, noise levels, etc.) I guess the virus is just one more reason, although I do think the long term effect of the virus on all of this is overblown, at least in areas that haven't had the biggest impact. After it ends (hopefully relatively soon) people will soon thereafter see it as a distant memory, more so if they weren't personally affected.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Here in NV where we have 28% unemployment as of last week, as things reopen, they are VERY busy. Lines of people trying to get into Ross yesterday in Reno (wow). Places like Foot Locker need to get opened as every day they remain closed they are losing more sales to places that are open like Kohl's or Dillard's or Ross. Restaurants are also busy- not as busy as before, but busy.

Now in CA Mono and Inyo Counties where I went today many things are still closed. Tourism has fallen off a cliff; the back entry/exit of Yosemite near Lee Vining that feeds people into Mono County is closed. The counties I visited require masks to be worn in ALL public places (even outside at gas pumps, I was told, though this was not being followed much). The mood is somber and dismal, like half dead. Most small businesses stores had signs up "apologizing" for the county mask requirements. I did not observe any conflicts or other issues with the mask requirement though, so all I will say is baa.

People are done with this virus and want to get back to their lives.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 11:42 pmLines of people trying to get into Ross yesterday in Reno (wow). Places like Foot Locker need to get opened as every day they remain closed they are losing more sales to places that are open like Kohl's or Dillard's or Ross. Restaurants are also busy- not as busy as before, but busy.
There has always been talk about pent-up demand and this sounds like a normal initial reaction. I agree that a lot of smaller companies are being discriminated by these restrictions.
storewanderer wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 11:42 pm People are done with this virus and want to get back to their lives.
Let's hope the virus is done with them.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: May 24th, 2020, 4:55 pm

Let's hope the virus is done with them.
I am noticing in the remote areas in NV/CA tons of people out in groups rafting, hiking, biking, etc. All those little parking lots at the side of the highways are packed with cars and people in groups.

We will see what happens here.

Sadly I am talking to some people who have not gotten sick but have been under what I call "self imposed quarantine" basically not leaving their house since March, seem to hope the virus spreads more in the rural areas. Almost like a misery loves company sort of attitude.

I do still think big gatherings and prolonged face to face "talking" are risky.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:42 pm I am noticing in the remote areas in NV/CA tons of people out in groups rafting, hiking, biking, etc. All those little parking lots at the side of the highways are packed with cars and people in groups.

We will see what happens here.

Sadly I am talking to some people who have not gotten sick but have been under what I call "self imposed quarantine" basically not leaving their house since March, seem to hope the virus spreads more in the rural areas. Almost like a misery loves company sort of attitude.

I do still think big gatherings and prolonged face to face "talking" are risky.
There is very little risk of contracting it while rafting, hiking or biking unless someone that has it is sneezing or coughing right in your face.

And it is unfortunate that people don't use their common sense. There's no reason to make yourself a prisoner. Just listen to what the scientists are saying and take appropriate actions.