Barber Shops, Salons, Massage Parlors, Reopening

Alpha8472

Barber Shops, Salons, Massage Parlors, Reopening

Post by Alpha8472 »

Many places in California have just reopened barbershops and salons. The demand is overwhelming with long waitlists. I see so many people with big hair now. They need a barber urgently.

There was a Great Clips in Missouri where 2 stylists had coronavirus. They tested the clients afterwards and there were no positive cases. Apparently, masks did prevent the spread.

Coronavirus can be contained. It seems that reopening these places can proceed with reasonable safety.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Barber Shops, Salons, Massage Parlors, Reopening

Post by Brian Lutz »

There's going to be a big backlog for a while at the salons. My Dad reported that when the salons reopened in Northern Idaho it was nearly impossible to get a haircut appointment for several weeks. Just taking a look at the online check-in for Sport Clips locations nearby here, most of them show current wait times between 90 and 150 minutes, with a couple showing "Wait list is full" messages. A couple show shorter waits (in less populated areas) and a couple are still not open.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 18th, 2020, 1:01 pm Many places in California have just reopened barbershops and salons. The demand is overwhelming with long waitlists. I see so many people with big hair now. They need a barber urgently.

There was a Great Clips in Missouri where 2 stylists had coronavirus. They tested the clients afterwards and there were no positive cases. Apparently, masks did prevent the spread.

Coronavirus can be contained. It seems that reopening these places can proceed with reasonable safety.
I also wonder if part of why there was not spread in the hair facility was due to limited talking as well as people not being "face to face." It seems "face to face" is very risky here.

NV has a lot of rules for the haircut places to operate under. People cannot wait inside for their turn, they have to wait outside. There are some other rules as well.

It will die down within a week or so after these places reopen. They will still be busy with wait times, but it won't be unavailable. The hair cutters are often independent contractors and they had no income during the pandemic as they could not go file for unemployment. At least that was how it was in Nevada. Now that they can make money again, they are working way more than usual to make up for the complete lack of income during the pandemic.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 18th, 2020, 1:01 pm Many places in California have just reopened barbershops and salons. The demand is overwhelming with long waitlists. I see so many people with big hair now. They need a barber urgently.

They "tested" the clients after the haircut?

Didn't know shops had the means to do that. Special test kits for shop owners?

Also, can you test positive after being exposed an hour before?
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: June 19th, 2020, 7:00 am

Probably more like they knew who the clients were and asked them to be checked at a place that was doing testing, not tested at the shop itself.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

veteran+ wrote: June 19th, 2020, 7:00 am

Veteran+, I'm not sure what state you're in, but here, if you wanted to go to a salon, you had to provide a phone number for contact and the salon recorded the date and employee providing the service to you. They had to keep this paperwork for a short period. This way if an employee came down with COVID-19, or a customer/contact tracer called in, then people could be notified and tested for possible exposure.

It is likely that the 140 customers of the two stylists from Great Clips visited a local testing location (possible parking lot of a store, possibly a clinic, etc) and then those results were provided to the contact tracing department of the local public health authority once available.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

They contacted the customers and 46 got tested somewhere. None tested positive. Some customers were unreachable. Great Clips always takes down your name and number when you visit.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Same in NV, they now are required to record the client's contact information and the date/time they were in the facility for the service.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I recently drove by a couple locations near me, and saw a line waiting, outside. Some are operating by appointment only and requiring online check in.

I avoid Great Clips because of the amount of personal info they demand for a haircut under normal circumstances. I don't experience that elsewhere.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Caution: Please keep this retail related. We are not a medical or healthcare forum, or a place to discuss pandemics.