GNC Files For Bankruptcy

Alpha8472

GNC Files For Bankruptcy

Post by Alpha8472 »

GNC has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The company will close 800 to 1,200 stores.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: GNC Files For Bankruptcy

Post by jamcool »

Another company that is majority Chinese owned
Super S

Post by Super S »

I wonder if that one is still open in the mall in Aberdeen, WA, which, as of a few years ago, still had signage with a very short-lived logo used around the early-to mid 90s.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I rarely see these GNC Stores selling anything. I don't know how they make the sales to even pay their payroll. Mostly private label product. The few times I've gone in, I've rarely found what I need. Vitamin World (also went bankrupt, also mall based) seemed to be similarly useless but with a few more national brand items. Vitamin Shoppe in Reno wisely located in the parking lot of Whole Foods in an old Blockbuster and does quite well; larger space and more variety than the others. I order these items online from various providers due to price reasons. I have in the past gotten the Vitamin Shoppe store to do price matches with online though.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Online shopping has taken its toll on GNC. There is no reason to go there unless you want to pay more or are desperate for something right away.

The Vitamin Shoppe near me is also in a former Blockbuster. It is sad that so many retail stores are no more. I remember when you could actually go into a store and see the product instead of having to shop online and look at pictures.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

They've stayed in malls because they could afford the rents---their merchandise carries enormous markups and much of it is faddish stuff based on questionable claims which means they probably get a lot of volume at any one time from a small number of items.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 26th, 2020, 1:17 am Online shopping has taken its toll on GNC. There is no reason to go there unless you want to pay more or are desperate for something right away.

The Vitamin Shoppe near me is also in a former Blockbuster. It is sad that so many retail stores are no more. I remember when you could actually go into a store and see the product instead of having to shop online and look at pictures.
Also understandable in these types of items - once you've bought something once, it's pretty easy to know what it is and order it from a picture or brief description. After all, if you take Vitamin X in Z dosage, there's not too much difference which place you get it from, unless (as you said) you realize that you took the last one today and need more for tomorrow.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I'm kind of surprised about this given GNC is often one of the last chains to remain in deserted malls.

The one in the mall here actually relocated into a newly remodeled in line space in the mall, in order to make way for the Planet Fitness, with new signage and all. There is also a Vitamin World in the mall which also looks fairly modern with wood floors, etc.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Kinda off topic, but when I was a kid, I thought GNC sold pickup trucks. After all, the logo looks too similar to GMC.
Super S

Post by Super S »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 1:40 pm Kinda off topic, but when I was a kid, I thought GNC sold pickup trucks. After all, the logo looks too similar to GMC.
I also noticed the similarity to the GMC Truck logo. And I always wondered if that was the reason behind the short-lived logo seen in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=773

The pictured store is in Aberdeen, WA.