Discussion: Convenience stores / gasoline retailers

storewanderer

Re: Discussion: Convenience stores / gasoline retailers

Post by storewanderer »

kr.abs.swy wrote: April 25th, 2021, 7:44 pm I noticed today in the local ExtraMile/Jackson's that almost all of the store-brand goods are back to Jackson's. This is a store in Oregon. For a while they seemed to be trying reasonably hard to transition everything from Jackson's to ExtraMile. Today the only ExtraMile-brand goods I saw were mugs and bottles of water. There were dozens of Jackson's brand SKUs (candies, packaged pastries, antifreeze, coffee, etc.).

I still don't understand why they wanted to create a second brand in Boise where the Jackson's name is well known and dominates the market. From a marketing standpoint, it doesn't make sense to me. Just as an example, they bought naming rights for the basketball arena at Boise State, which is now called ExtraMile Arena. They are spending millions that do absolutely nothing to build brand awareness for the dozens of Jackson's Shell stores in the area. They have introduced a new brand into some new geographies where it just doesn't have any meaning. The alliance probably made some sense in California. I don't think it did in Idaho.
Jacksons did not operate in California at all.

The reason Jacksons uses the Extra Mile name is because they had to use it in order to get Chevron to go along with the joint venture thing. Also they are hoping to sell franchises in Idaho and using their name on the locations and that stadium branding will somehow help market the brand Extra Mile. We will see how their franchise program goes.

I am with you- I think Jacksons has a good name and runs a good store. These Jacksons Extra Mile sites are just as good as a regular Jacksons (much better than the CA Extra Miles are- larger mix, more options, and lower prices). I did not really think it made a whole lot of sense to shift a number of locations to Extra Mile. But as you point out it is basically the sign out front and inside everything is still Jacksons. Nothing has changed.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Here in the Los Angeles area there are myriad choices.

I go exclusively to Sinclair Oil. Cheapest prices around and rated as a top tier gasoline.

Their convenience store is modern, clean, well stocked (okay on prices) and the customer service is pretty darn good.

Plus on a personal note, my Dad owned a chain of Sinclair Oil stations in New York City (I worked part time at some as a kid) ;)

I wish there were MORE of them around!
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I only know of one Sinclair near me. The dinosaur logo and merchandise caught my eye.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Anyone know how much market share gas stations have lost to grocery stores and warehouse clubs selling gas? I haven't been to a traditional gas station in years. Much rather go to Costco or grocery store gas station. Lower prices, cleaner, and they generally feel safer.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

https://www.convenience.org/Topics/Fuel ... ricas-Fuel

About 80 percent of fuel is sold by convenience stores: 121,538

Supermarkets and big-box stores: 6,494

Fueling Kiosks (gas station with cashier booth): 15,638

Service stations(auto repair shop): 3,000 to 8,000

The quality of gas is of concern. Costco is Top Tier quality gas, while most supermarket gas stations are not Top Tier. Safeway had problems where gas was contaminated with diesel causing expensive engine damage.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:48 pm Anyone know how much market share gas stations have lost to grocery stores and warehouse clubs selling gas? I haven't been to a traditional gas station in years. Much rather go to Costco or grocery store gas station. Lower prices, cleaner, and they generally feel safer.
This tends to be more regional. In some regions the stores have a lot of stations but in other regions the stores have fewer stations. Most Wal Mart stations are Murphy USA which count as an oil company station even if they present as if they are a Wal Mart operation, they are not.

I agree about using Costco/Sam's Club or grocery store gas stations, it is generally a better experience. More pumps, lower price (usually no credit card fee except at those few Safeway divisions in CA/OR/WA that are hanging on to that policy at least in some places), easier process. I have started using Shell in some cases as it has become cheaper than Smiths for gas after a .05 off Shell loyalty discount which I find odd and have been satisfied with my trips to Shell (these are Jacksons Shell locations).

These Marathon Arcos that take credit cards are a trip. You put your card in. First it asks you "debit card yes/no" then it processes the chip card and asks you to remove the card. Then it asks you "credit price yes/no" since they have a credit fee of .10 per gallon I guess but I've never seen this prompt come up before at a prepay gas pump (this prompt typically only comes up on post pay pumps where you pump first then pay if the station has a cash price credit price set up). Press no to the credit price and it just flat declines. Press yes and then it wants the zip code. Then it finally lets you pump fuel. Complete joke and hassle. At Shell, Chevron, Smiths, Safeway, Costco, Speedway, Loves- you put the credit card in the pump and that is it- it reads the card and you are done and ready to fuel. Since the chip upgrade, the pump asks no questions. I think Arco just wants to make it as hard as possible to use a card.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:53 pm
This tends to be more regional. In some regions the stores have a lot of stations but in other regions the stores have fewer stations. Most Wal Mart stations are Murphy USA which count as an oil company station even if they present as if they are a Wal Mart operation, they are not.
If a Walmart store has a fuel island presenting as Walmart, it *is* theirs. Murphy has not been opening new stores on Walmart property, only remodeling and expanding existing ones, and building more freestanding Murphy Express stores. Walmart started building mini-Walmarts with their fuel islands in front. Two excellent examples are the Supercenter in Fort Stockton, TX and a Neighborhood Market in New Iberia, LA. Both are Walmart-owned stores, and not handled by Murphy. Walmart also has a massive convenience store called Walmart Grab-N-Go in Bentonville.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

babs wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:48 pm Anyone know how much market share gas stations have lost to grocery stores and warehouse clubs selling gas? I haven't been to a traditional gas station in years. Much rather go to Costco or grocery store gas station. Lower prices, cleaner, and they generally feel safer.

I agree about using Costco/Sam's Club or grocery store gas stations, it is generally a better experience. More pumps, lower price (usually no credit card fee except at those few Safeway divisions in CA/OR/WA that are hanging on to that policy at least in some places), easier process. I have started using Shell in some cases as it has become cheaper than Smiths for gas after a .05 off Shell loyalty discount which I find odd and have been satisfied with my trips to Shell (these are Jacksons Shell locations).

These Marathon Arcos that take credit cards are a trip. You put your card in. First it asks you "debit card yes/no" then it processes the chip card and asks you to remove the card. Then it asks you "credit price yes/no" since they have a credit fee of .10 per gallon I guess but I've never seen this prompt come up before at a prepay gas pump (this prompt typically only comes up on post pay pumps where you pump first then pay if the station has a cash price credit price set up). Press no to the credit price and it just flat declines. Press yes and then it wants the zip code. Then it finally lets you pump fuel. Complete joke and hassle. At Shell, Chevron, Smiths, Safeway, Costco, Speedway, Loves- you put the credit card in the pump and that is it- it reads the card and you are done and ready to fuel. Since the chip upgrade, the pump asks no questions. I think Arco just wants to make it as hard as possible to use a card.
The Arco fee confirmation is likely related to the card swipe lawsuit and settlement they had to go through. That was the basis of the lawsuit,. people claiming they didn't know about the swipe fees.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

wnetmacman wrote: April 29th, 2021, 9:12 am
If a Walmart store has a fuel island presenting as Walmart, it *is* theirs. Murphy has not been opening new stores on Walmart property, only remodeling and expanding existing ones, and building more freestanding Murphy Express stores. Walmart started building mini-Walmarts with their fuel islands in front. Two excellent examples are the Supercenter in Fort Stockton, TX and a Neighborhood Market in New Iberia, LA. Both are Walmart-owned stores, and not handled by Murphy. Walmart also has a massive convenience store called Walmart Grab-N-Go in Bentonville.
What's the main difference between these mini-Walmarts and the Walmart Grab-N-Go and those Walmart Express stores that they closed a few years ago?
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

arizonaguy wrote: April 29th, 2021, 10:40 am What's the main difference between these mini-Walmarts and the Walmart Grab-N-Go and those Walmart Express stores that they closed a few years ago?
Walmart Express stores were in the neighborhood of 10,000 square feet and had a somewhat full line of groceries, some GM, and a pharmacy. When the stores were sold and closed, they were deed restricted only on the pharmacy. They also had a 2-pump (4 dispenser) gas station.

The Grab-N-Go store has more gas pumps, and in the store is an extensive hot food selection and fast pickup items. It's more like the convenience stores we know and like now.

The small Walmart convenience stores that accompany their branded gas stations are just that. They're about 800 square feet, with a cooler, a couple of short gondolas of carefully curated merchandise, fountain and coffee machines, and restrooms.