7-Eleven wins bid to acquire Speedway

storewanderer

Re: 7-Eleven wins bid to acquire Speedway

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 6:16 am We used to sell a lot of Dino the dinosaur products!

You can buy dino products on their website and back when they had corporate stations (HQ is in Salt Lake now) in UT/CO those sold some dino stuff in those stations. They since sold off the corporate stations so not sure what came of those stations selling merchandise. They may still sell dino stuff at the Little America locations (they still run those).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:19 pm Those sound much like the Hess buildings I was describing above (that dated back to when fuel was full service, which has been quite a while here in NY for the most part).
In NorCal, Speedway took those small locations with only a cashier kiosk and kept leasing them to the old Tesoro multi-site operators who previously operated all of these sites (Anabi Oil, American Retail Services/Porters, KENK USA, and others), ripped off whatever branding they had (Shell, Mobil, or USA), and converted them to something called a "Speedway Express." They do not use the Speedway system, do not have any Speedway merchandise or programs, and frankly I do not see the point to the branding at all. If they wanted to run unbranded sites with no store or a tiny store leased to the MSOs they should have just kept with the old USA brand (which was always a kiosk-driven brand and didn't have many stores anyway). I wonder if the "Speedway Express" sites go to 7-Eleven or stay with Marathon.

Then in OR/WA all of the sites are Speedway Express, even ones with full size stores. For some reason Speedway did not want to go into OR/WA. It will be interesting to see what happens on those.

My guess is the kiosk only sites with no store, 7-Eleven will cease operating as corporate sites quickly and franchise them out to other operators and they will put some fuel brand onto them (SEI Fuels website shows their available brands). So the sites won't have 7-Eleven branding but will still be controlled by 7-Eleven.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: August 9th, 2020, 5:20 pm
BillyGr wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:19 pm Those sound much like the Hess buildings I was describing above (that dated back to when fuel was full service, which has been quite a while here in NY for the most part).
In NorCal, Speedway took those small locations with only a cashier kiosk and kept leasing them to the old Tesoro multi-site operators who previously operated all of these sites (Anabi Oil, American Retail Services/Porters, KENK USA, and others), ripped off whatever branding they had (Shell, Mobil, or USA), and converted them to something called a "Speedway Express." They do not use the Speedway system, do not have any Speedway merchandise or programs, and frankly I do not see the point to the branding at all. If they wanted to run unbranded sites with no store or a tiny store leased to the MSOs they should have just kept with the old USA brand (which was always a kiosk-driven brand and didn't have many stores anyway). I wonder if the "Speedway Express" sites go to 7-Eleven or stay with Marathon.

Then in OR/WA all of the sites are Speedway Express, even ones with full size stores. For some reason Speedway did not want to go into OR/WA. It will be interesting to see what happens on those.

My guess is the kiosk only sites with no store, 7-Eleven will cease operating as corporate sites quickly and franchise them out to other operators and they will put some fuel brand onto them (SEI Fuels website shows their available brands). So the sites won't have 7-Eleven branding but will still be controlled by 7-Eleven.
The one I mentioned above with the very small spot is still labelled as Speedway. They did scan the card when I stopped for gas (it was an unusual situation and the price was good). Not sure how much they can participate beyond that, though maybe for the bottled drinks buy so many get 1 free would work as they have those.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: August 11th, 2020, 11:27 am
The one I mentioned above with the very small spot is still labelled as Speedway. They did scan the card when I stopped for gas (it was an unusual situation and the price was good). Not sure how much they can participate beyond that, though maybe for the bottled drinks buy so many get 1 free would work as they have those.
I think the "Speedway Express" is a new concept exclusively out in the West. Prior to that I think all Speedway was corporate operated. There were a number of Superamerica sites that were franchise sites and converted to generic stations and not Speedway back in the upper midwest last year.

Also Speedway has halted conversions in SoCal again the past few weeks... who knows if it is because of COVID or because of 7-Eleven merger.