Build A Bear

Alpha8472

Build A Bear

Post by Alpha8472 »

In California, it seems that most indoor malls are completely closed. I was looking for a Build A Bear Workshop to see if I could find a Baby Yoda. It seems that most of their locations are closed in the entire state. There are a few locations that are open such as outdoor malls. For example, there is one at Pier 39 in San Francisco and one at Outlets of Orange.

There are also 2 locations in Northern California inside of Walmart. I think that this could be a good idea for this company if they opened up stores inside of Walmart. Those soon to be vacant McDonald's restaurants are all over the place and will most likely draw in tons of customers. The Baby Yoda is very sought after right now.

Right now, with most of their mall stores closed in the entire state, Build A Bear could be in bad financial shape.

On a side note, has anyone ever found the injecting needle to stuff the bear with cotton disturbing. They use a big needle machine to stuff the bear, but it goes right in the bear's backside.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Build A Bear

Post by rwsandiego »

I had no idea they have a store at Fashion Valley in San Diego. It appears to be open, probably because it is an outdoor mall.

Also didn't know they have one here at Scottsdale Fashion Square.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I'm not sure the old McDonald's are nearly the size BAB needs, nor do they need to take the brand way downscale (which mass opening in Walmart would do).

Haven't heard too much about BAB, they seemed to rise out of nowhere somewhere in the very early 2000s/late 1990s. I remember Vista Ridge Mall in Texas had a BAB knockoff that managed to advertise locally (Texas Teddy Bear Workshop, or something along those lines).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Build A Bear has two kinds of shops. There is the full size store with lots of merchandise and then there are the tiny mall kiosks. These have the basic animals and a selection of the most popular outfits. There is still quite a selection and if the customer wants a bigger variety they can go get more clothing from their storage locker. The one at Sunvalley Mall in Concord, California is a tiny mall kiosk, but the selection of animals and outfits is very good.

Build A Bear is quite successful because it worked to get rid of the competition. It is quite a fascinating story:

I like these videos that talk about the rise and fall of various companies such as Circuit City, Chuck E Cheese's, or Payless. Payless Shoes was once part of May Department Stores.