Maverik opens 2 new stores at new SLC Airport

storewanderer

Maverik opens 2 new stores at new SLC Airport

Post by storewanderer »

SLC Airport is opening its replacement terminal building tomorrow. Maverik will have two stores in the terminal one pre-security and one post-security.

It is about time the legitimate convenience retailers get into the airport business. In other countries, it is not unusual to see a 7-Eleven or a Circle K inside the airport as I've seen one or both at Vancouver, Macau, and Hong Kong airports.
Super S

Re: Maverik opens 2 new stores at new SLC Airport

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: September 14th, 2020, 11:35 pm SLC Airport is opening its replacement terminal building tomorrow. Maverik will have two stores in the terminal one pre-security and one post-security.

It is about time the legitimate convenience retailers get into the airport business. In other countries, it is not unusual to see a 7-Eleven or a Circle K inside the airport as I've seen one or both at Vancouver, Macau, and Hong Kong airports.
I have had this thought myself...a true convenience store would do well in an airport setting.

But some airports have weird restrictions and rules also...one I know of is the Detroit airport only allowing Pepsi soft drinks to be sold in the airport. Even the McDonald's in the airport serves Pepsi.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Usually a concession company runs all of the stores in a concourse or terminal.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/starbucks ... s-closing/

For example, the Starbucks cafes inside of San Francisco International Airport were not run by Starbucks. It was the concession company running the Starbucks and paying to use the Starbucks name. There were many other restaurants and shops run by the concession company.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 11:13 pm Usually a concession company runs all of the stores in a concourse or terminal.

For example, the Starbucks cafes inside of San Francisco International Airport were not run by Starbucks. It was the concession company running the Starbucks and paying to use the Starbucks name. There were many other restaurants and shops run by the concession company.
This has been changing as airport authorities seek to diversify their retail and food service offerings. The concession companies no longer get to have a total domination of all of the food operations at a given airport like they once did. They may get a concourse or part of a concourse. Now multiple operators get to compete on the space. Different airport authorities use different criteria for deciding who to assign leases to. Some favor minority/women owned businesses in the lease competition. Some favor local businesses. There are various criteria and factors and the different applicants get weighted out based on the individual airport authority criteria.

SLC Airport opened a central logistics station for all retail/restaurant items to be delivered to at the new airport. So now the vendors for these places drop all their deliveries there then the deliveries get inspected by airport security then a third party logistics company will deliver the items to the retail location within the air terminal at SLC.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: September 15th, 2020, 11:35 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 11:13 pm Usually a concession company runs all of the stores in a concourse or terminal.

This has been changing as airport authorities seek to diversify their retail and food service offerings. The concession companies no longer get to have a total domination of all of the food operations at a given airport like they once did. They may get a concourse or part of a concourse. Now multiple operators get to compete on the space. Different airport authorities use different criteria for deciding who to assign leases to. Some favor minority/women owned businesses in the lease competition. Some favor local businesses. There are various criteria and factors and the different applicants get weighted out based on the individual airport authority criteria.

SLC Airport opened a central logistics station for all retail/restaurant items to be delivered to at the new airport. So now the vendors for these places drop all their deliveries there then the deliveries get inspected by airport security then a third party logistics company will deliver the items to the retail location within the air terminal at SLC.
Some airports such as Portland International Airport (PDX) also have rules in place where the food and retail operators can not charge more than at their off-airport locations. The airports where a concession runs everything tend to jack their prices up. The best airports in my opinion have a good mix of both local and national food options, there are times where the local options are hit or miss but there are reliable national brands such as McDonald's. I think a lower price point tends to increase volume, I rarely buy things in airport gift shops but have noticed prices are a lot better now.

I think there might be a "gray area" for some of the concessions which do not have off-airport locations though, many that sell newspapers, magazines, etc. do not have locations off-airport.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: September 20th, 2020, 8:59 am
Some airports such as Portland International Airport (PDX) also have rules in place where the food and retail operators can not charge more than at their off-airport locations. The airports where a concession runs everything tend to jack their prices up. The best airports in my opinion have a good mix of both local and national food options, there are times where the local options are hit or miss but there are reliable national brands such as McDonald's. I think a lower price point tends to increase volume, I rarely buy things in airport gift shops but have noticed prices are a lot better now.

I think there might be a "gray area" for some of the concessions which do not have off-airport locations though, many that sell newspapers, magazines, etc. do not have locations off-airport.
I always noticed PDX Airport had fair prices in the majority of the shops there.

SLC AIrport historically was also fairly priced for its various offerings, and I wondered if they had the same PDX "same as street" pricing rules. Similar in DEN Airport, but DEN Airport has for many years leased spaces out to whoever so there has always been good competition for the food spaces in the airport.

DEN Airport would be really good for a convenience store... Maverik has little presence in Denver, but should take note.