Office Depot closures continue

Super S

Office Depot closures continue

Post by Super S »

I passed by the Office Depot store in Longview, WA today and noticed they have a "CLOSING SALE" banner up. While I am not surprised by a closing, I am surprised by this one, which took over most of a space occupied by Ace Hardware when they consolidated into a smaller space (which itself closed last year) and also replaced an OfficeMax in an older building less than a mile away (which is still vacant and may be demolished as a second part of a road realignment project) I don't shop there much as I think their prices are high, but have used them to ship items a few times.

I really never saw any benefit from the merger of Office Depot and OfficeMax, and it almost seems like these two names are fading like Sears and Kmart.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Office Depot closures continue

Post by cjd »

Office Depot is a place I often tend to forget, although I did get my printer there. I shopped more often at the Office Max when it was open.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

IMO, all office supply brick and mortar stores are on borrowed time. OfficeDepot (pre-merger) came and went like that where I am in Southeastern PA (they entered by taking over several former Kids R Us locations). What is left is three OfficeMax branded stores (there used to be many more), only likely because they are far enough away from a Staples location. Staples isn't doing that hot either, although I could see them hanging on with maybe reduced-sized (FedEx/Kinkos sized?) stores. For the casual person that needs office supplies, why go to Staples when you can get all that stuff at a corner Walgreens for around the same inflated prices?
Super S

Post by Super S »

mbz321 wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 10:14 am IMO, all office supply brick and mortar stores are on borrowed time. OfficeDepot (pre-merger) came and went like that where I am in Southeastern PA (they entered by taking over several former Kids R Us locations). What is left is three OfficeMax branded stores (there used to be many more), only likely because they are far enough away from a Staples location. Staples isn't doing that hot either, although I could see them hanging on with maybe reduced-sized (FedEx/Kinkos sized?) stores. For the casual person that needs office supplies, why go to Staples when you can get all that stuff at a corner Walgreens for around the same inflated prices?
Or for that matter Walmart, which usually has cheaper printer cartridges, and a good selection of other basic supplies with much better prices.
Super S

Post by Super S »

An article about the Longview store closing:

https://tdn.com/news/local/longview-off ... op-story-1

Unfortunately our local newspaper doesn't always get their facts straight. This is not the only location closing...they based that on what the words on the banner said.

The Triangle Center has seen an uptick in vacancies recently including closures of a Five Guys, Starbucks (which relocated), and Lane Bryant, and the vacant Ace Hardware (which used to also occupy the Office Depot space) However, it is still in much better shape than Kelso's Three Rivers Mall.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I saw a "Closing. This store only," at an Office Depot in San Leandro, California. This store suffers from a tiny parking lot. It is difficult to access and is perhaps only able to hold a handful of cars. This store was always tiny and dirty. I am surprised that it never closed years ago.