Maverik to enter California

storewanderer

Re: Maverik to enter California

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 12:35 pm What was on the receipt that made it so long?
A giant logo, about 12 lines pertaining to the card processing, about 25 lines pertaining to the loyalty card program and various promotions or accumulations I am not aware of or how they work...

In studying the receipt I did learn I have earned a free drink on my next purchase. Expires in 10 days. That was about 5 more lines. This information is buried in the middle of other information.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Well, Maverik is now open in Oroville, CA. They got a very nice large site right off the highway at the main offramp into the town.

It is a quasi truck stop of sorts with truck fueling lanes and a larger c-store than the standard (already large) Maverik. The store has nothing more to offer than a standard Maverik but things are just spread more apart. Does not look to be part of the standard Maverik supply chain either- was completely out of stock on milk today, but did have some eggs and butter from a CA brand Crystal. Cups for soda/fountain had a few cups that were Maverik logo but most were just generic clear cups with no print or name of any kind.

The station had customers but was by no means busy today. I was surprised the Arco across the street still looked quite busy, despite a higher price (4.23 cash price or 4.43 credit price).

The gas has a cash price and a credit price 10 cents higher. Have never seen this practice in place at a Maverik before. Today they wanted 4.13 cash price or 4.23 credit price for gas. There are a couple of other gas stations in Oroville run by Indian Tribes that had gas at 3.99 and 4.09 (both credit prices) respectively today.

We will see how this goes. This is at another level from the typical CA c-store and is probably the nicest c-store in the entire state. Whether or not it works remains to be seen.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: November 13th, 2021, 11:03 pm It is a quasi truck stop of sorts with truck fueling lanes and a larger c-store than the standard (already large) Maverik. The store has nothing more to offer than a standard Maverik but things are just spread more apart. Does not look to be part of the standard Maverik supply chain either- was completely out of stock on milk today, but did have some eggs and butter from a CA brand Crystal. Cups for soda/fountain had a few cups that were Maverik logo but most were just generic clear cups with no print or name of any kind.
I did see somewhere that clear cups (the story was talking about for iced coffee but they are basically the same as soda ones) were the latest item with supply issues, so that is a possibility on that (getting whatever they can find).
luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by luckysaver »

Love's recently expanded into California with the opening of several stores across the state, most recently on the 58 Freeway in the Kern County town of Boron (halfway between Bakersfield and Barstow).

Boron Love's, opened Fall 2021 https://www.loves.com/locations/755

My guess is that pretty soon Maverik will make its way to SoCal and open stores in Kern, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties near or adjacent to their competitors (TA Petro, Love's, Pilot Flying J).

luckysaver
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Maverik has pulled a liquor license for a new store in Desert Hot Springs (Northwest Corner of Palm and Paul) and also a new store in Victorville (12970 Mariposa Road). Not even sure what to make of the location choice in Victorville. Maverik has only opened 6 locations in Las Vegas (entered the market 10 years ago) so I am guessing these locations will be an extension of that market. It appears they haven't done very well in Las Vegas given how few locations they've opened there. Maverik is also running that stupid cash price/+.10 per gallon for credit pricing in Las Vegas now which so far I have not seen them do anywhere else but Oroville.

They also have pulled a site at 3985 Lake in West Sacramento. Another interesting choice; industrial type location. Similar to the location they are trying to develop out on Power Inn in Sacramento.

Really interesting location choices they are making. Picking locations like this, like Oroville, is almost like going into CA, without "going into CA" so to say. This strategy will either work well or there are going to be some awkwardly oversized and very nice c-stores in some very odd spots in CA.

With Kum N Go targeting Boise and Salt Lake City for expansion they appear to be going after Maverik pretty hard. Will be interesting to see what other markets Kum N Go tries to get into- will they try Las Vegas too? Reno? Spokane? Maverik moved into Denver and still has only 10 locations there; Kum N Go has been in Denver for over a decade but now with Quik Trip coming to Denver that market is going to become very difficult.

Meanwhile Circle K is developing a few new build corporate sites in Northern California: one in American Canyon (under construction) and two not yet under construction in Roseville and Carmichael. These will be the first new build Circle Ks run by the corporate Circle K operation in NorCal in decades.
Last edited by storewanderer on February 12th, 2022, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

luckysaver wrote: January 25th, 2022, 1:55 am My guess is that pretty soon Maverik will make its way to SoCal and open stores in Kern, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties near or adjacent to their competitors (TA Petro, Love's, Pilot Flying J).
luckysaver
Maverik was owned by Flying J at one point, but they don't do truck stops.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 12:45 pm
luckysaver wrote: January 25th, 2022, 1:55 am My guess is that pretty soon Maverik will make its way to SoCal and open stores in Kern, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties near or adjacent to their competitors (TA Petro, Love's, Pilot Flying J).
luckysaver
Maverik was owned by Flying J at one point, but they don't do truck stops.
Maverik and Flying J were (as independent companies) owned by members of the same family but separate companies.

The old Flying J company got involved in some really bad fuel hedging deals and had to sell off most of its assets in bankruptcy a number of years ago when Pilot bought most of the Flying J truck stops.

A few years ago, the old Flying J took over Maverik from the related family members, or merged, or something. The present day Maverik is essentially controlled by what controlled the old Flying J.

Maverik has some sites that are not exactly flagged as truck stops but if they installed a few showers, they'd have what you would call a truck stop that is comparable to a small Pilot or Flying J. They have separate entry for auto/trucks, large separate fuel canopies for truck fueling, and limited truck parking. These sites in my area include two sites in Carson City, NV and one site in Minden, NV. None of these sites were built like this- they were built as standard car gas/c-stores. Maverik added in the truck fueling areas over the past few years.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Meanwhile the first Buc-ees West of Texas will open in Colorado in 2024.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: February 12th, 2022, 10:57 pm Meanwhile the first Buc-ees West of Texas will open in Colorado in 2024.
C-store market in Colorado is going to get real crowded. Frankly once Quik Trip shows up it is no contest in my opinion. The various 7-Eleven, United Pacific, and Stinker sites are going to be in for some really hard times. Circle K has some sites there too, suspect they will pick up a lot of pieces as others go bust.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: February 12th, 2022, 12:31 pm Maverik has pulled a liquor license for a new store in Desert Hot Springs (Northwest Corner of Palm and Paul) and also a new store in Victorville (12970 Mariposa Road). Not even sure what to make of the location choice in Victorville. Maverik has only opened 6 locations in Las Vegas (entered the market 10 years ago) so I am guessing these locations will be an extension of that market. It appears they haven't done very well in Las Vegas given how few locations they've opened there. Maverik is also running that stupid cash price/+.10 per gallon for credit pricing in Las Vegas now which so far I have not seen them do anywhere else but Oroville.

They also have pulled a site at 3985 Lake in West Sacramento. Another interesting choice; industrial type location. Similar to the location they are trying to develop out on Power Inn in Sacramento.

Really interesting location choices they are making. Picking locations like this, like Oroville, is almost like going into CA, without "going into CA" so to say. This strategy will either work well or there are going to be some awkwardly oversized and very nice c-stores in some very odd spots in CA.

With Kum N Go targeting Boise and Salt Lake City for expansion they appear to be going after Maverik pretty hard. Will be interesting to see what other markets Kum N Go tries to get into- will they try Las Vegas too? Reno? Spokane? Maverik moved into Denver and still has only 10 locations there; Kum N Go has been in Denver for over a decade but now with Quik Trip coming to Denver that market is going to become very difficult.

Meanwhile Circle K is developing a few new build corporate sites in Northern California: one in American Canyon (under construction) and two not yet under construction in Roseville and Carmichael. These will be the first new build Circle Ks run by the corporate Circle K operation in NorCal in decades.

Desert Hot Springs?

Yikes........................one of my least favorite areas in the Coachella Valley. Also, lots of dark history in that city.