Fry’s Electronics out of business

bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Fry’s Electronics out of business

Post by bryceleinan »

Brian Lutz wrote: February 25th, 2021, 10:18 am I've certainly bought my share of stuff at the Fry's up here over the years, but my last couple of visits to the store, I found it pretty barren. On the "Hardware Junkies" group on Facebook I'm a member of, there's a lot of people who have long lamented the lack of options for brick and mortar purchases of computer hardware around here; I live in an area with lots of tech companies, but right now the only real brick and mortar option for purchasing any computer hardware around here is Best Buy, and their selection is so limited as to be almost useless for building all but a fairly basic system. At one point there were also a large number of local computer stores here as well,. but all of those have closed down too.

Of course there's always online options such as Amazon, Newegg and B&H, but there's so many stories of delayed, damaged or just plain lost shipments on that group (not so much the fault of the online retailers as that of the shippers) that people just don't trust that they'll actually get their order in one piece anymore if they order from those. One common thing I see there is people wishing Micro Center would come in and fill the void, but I don't think they have any stores closer to here than Northern California.
They only have one store in California - down in Tustin. I’ve been to three MC stores - Tustin, Denver, and Kansas City. They remind me of a mini Fry’s every time I go in there - kinda similar to CompUSA.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Fixture sales are currently happening at many of these stores.

The one in Roseville which was a newer store is a little odd. They have Hilco in there doing fixture sales, but not all of the fixtures. Then there are still Fry's employees present in the store sitting around a table behind the checkout area and appear to be going through stuff and determining what to auction, etc. Also a couple Fry's employees present in the service department. Also Fry's cash registers were some still turned on and functioning and it appeared they may still be doing computer repairs and were keeping those on in order to collect money from people.

Also to clarify what I was told, Fry's is not bankrupt.

The Sacramento Fry's, former Incredible Universe, was closed previously and it is just having a fixture sale and nothing else is still going on there.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

We went to that MicroCenter about a month and a half ago--the place was crawling with people, but had much the same vibe as our "normal" one in Madison Hts, MI.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: March 27th, 2021, 11:24 am Also to clarify what I was told, Fry's is not bankrupt.

The Sacramento Fry's, former Incredible Universe, was closed previously and it is just having a fixture sale and nothing else is still going on there.
I had not realized that the Sacramento store previously closed, but am not surprised to hear it. I thought about the repair business - was not sure how long they would keep that going, along with any deliveries the store(s) may have been making. I have seen many posts on Micro Center's Twitter page (one of mine included) about expanding into Frys' territory - I'll be interested to see if it happens. Somewhere in NorCal would be an obvious choice, although, I can't see any of the Fry's boxes being used unless they were subdivided.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: March 27th, 2021, 7:30 pm
I had not realized that the Sacramento store previously closed, but am not surprised to hear it. I thought about the repair business - was not sure how long they would keep that going, along with any deliveries the store(s) may have been making. I have seen many posts on Micro Center's Twitter page (one of mine included) about expanding into Frys' territory - I'll be interested to see if it happens. Somewhere in NorCal would be an obvious choice, although, I can't see any of the Fry's boxes being used unless they were subdivided.
Roseville Fry's strikes me as being "on the wrong side of the freeway" as far as retail goes, but it is in Roseville... so there is that... Home Depot is still over on that side but not much else. Even Petsmart bolted out of there and was refilled by something called Pet Club which is actually really good but seems to have little traffic.

Sacramento Fry's definitely not a good fit, I am sure that gets converted to non-retail. Very run down area there and has been for years.