storewanderer

Circle K divests 350 stores - appears to exit Oklahoma entirely

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Circle K divests 350 stores - appears to exit Oklahoma entirely

Post by jamcool »

Oklahoma is a rather odd retail market, the only statewide grocery retailer is Walmart, 7-11 only operates in OKC (and was separate from the main 7-11 until recently) QuikTrip only has stores in hometown Tulsa but not in OKC. And Casey’s will be buying the OK Circle K stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think these Circle Ks were only in Oklahoma City also (not Tulsa). There was one in Bartlesville too. These were the former corporate owned ConocoPhillips stations.

Casey's entered Oklahoma about 12 years ago through acquisition; the first site they got in the state was a truck stop in Tonkawa.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It appears what did Circle K in in OKC is the OnCue Express chain. Circle K is Phillips 66 fuel in OKC at all locations and OnCue Express has also gone with Phillips 66 fuel at all locations more recently. OnCue operates at a level equal to or better than Quik Trip (some of their stores could easily be mistaken for a Quik Trip).

Also learned Phillips 66 is very proud of a new 9,000 square foot store they have opened near their headquarters in Houston. I thought oh, they are adding corporate stations again. Nope- this is going to be operated by OnCue Express.

Circle K's other sites being divested aside from the concentration in OK going to Casey's are just scattered throughout the network, all over the place, and quite random. No other market exits taking place.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Circle K's other sites being divested aside from the concentration in OK going to Casey's are just scattered throughout the network, all over the place, and quite random. No other market exits taking place.

More than likely when you have 2 Circle Ks at a major intersection-across the street from each other-thanks to the CST/Corner Store acquisition several years ago.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I think I read somewhere that the first time Circle K left Oklahoma it created the Stripes convenience store chain (though if any remain, they're owned by Cal's, not 7-Eleven). Wonder why Oklahoma is being targeted? Is there a list of the stores going up for sale?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

You can go to www.nrc.com and sign up and view the list.

Some surprises in my opinion in TX. Some new build Corner Store sites are going. Maybe one new build Circle K.

Does not seem to be a case of selling redundant locations off. I think it must be location performance based.

Also didn't know there were still stores running under the Dairy Mart name in the midwest.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

The Dairy Marts I've seen usually have been old Lawson convenience stores in Ohio with the distinctive brick front design they used in the 60s & 70s. The Lawson name lives on (complete with its old logo) in Japan and now in Hawaii---Consolidated Foods sold the rights to a Japanese firm that liked the format.
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by a42887 »

storewanderer wrote: March 24th, 2021, 11:31 pm You can go to www.nrc.com and sign up and view the list.

Some surprises in my opinion in TX. Some new build Corner Store sites are going. Maybe one new build Circle K.

Does not seem to be a case of selling redundant locations off. I think it must be location performance based.

Also didn't know there were still stores running under the Dairy Mart name in the midwest.
Where are you seeing the list? When I go to NRC I don't see anything but a header saying "Circle K Stores, Inc. directs sale of 294 C-Stores, 227 With Gas Sold With or Without Supply Offer Due Date: May 7, 2021 29 States and Canada" - it's blank below that. Can you link to it by chance?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

a42887 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 1:01 pm
Where are you seeing the list? When I go to NRC I don't see anything but a header saying "Circle K Stores, Inc. directs sale of 294 C-Stores, 227 With Gas Sold With or Without Supply Offer Due Date: May 7, 2021 29 States and Canada" - it's blank below that. Can you link to it by chance?
Once you click that link with the Circle K logo you have to register for a NRC account and sign some sort of confidentiality agreement then you will get shown the list, site photos, in certain cases site fuel volume, merchandise volume, lease terms, etc. They aren't really selective about who they let register at all and it instantly approves registrations. Some of these sales are for whatever reason not public.