7-Eleven/Speedway divest 293 stores

storewanderer

7-Eleven/Speedway divest 293 stores

Post by storewanderer »

Interesting the buyers:

Anabi Oil- took scattered locations all over the place from UT to FL. Not sure how this will work out. Anabi owns Rebel branded stations in Las Vegas directly, the Raleys Aisle 1 Stations directly, a block of Shell stations mostly in SoCal, and then is a "multi site operator" for Tesoro/Marathon with scattered locations in NV, CA, AK that are low volume operations that were not good enough to go to Speedway (these are the ones branded Speedway Express in CA). Anabi runs a clean station generally speaking (though I find Rebel to be pretty terrible) and is going to have to work harder to develop a c-store format.

Jacksons- takes 59 locations in CA and 4 in NV/AZ (weird). Interesting and we will see how this goes and what gas brand ends up on the stations.

Anabi and Jacksons have quite similar roots/formations if you read the history of the two companies (Jacksons is far more integrated) and it has been interesting to see their ability to grow their companies.

CrossAmerica- previously reported. Don't know much about them.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: 7-Eleven/Speedway divest 293 stores

Post by jamcool »

The former Giant chain-which is now a part of the Speedway operation had a lot of stores in small towns in the Four Corners region, including a bunch of stores on Indian Reservations. I doubt that 7-11 will keep them very long as they don’t fit their urban/suburban image (and there is an existing c-store chain called 7-2-11 in that area)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: May 20th, 2021, 12:12 am The former Giant chain-which is now a part of the Speedway operation had a lot of stores in small towns in the Four Corners region, including a bunch of stores on Indian Reservations. I doubt that 7-11 will keep them very long as they don’t fit their urban/suburban image (and there is an existing c-store chain called 7-2-11 in that area)
Supposedly 7-Eleven is taking 2021 to determine how to integrate Speedway.

It will be interesting to see if Speedway stays in tact for a while or if 7-Eleven low end trash looking programs like Big Gulp, Slurpee, etc. get rolled out immediately in place of Speedway's better looking programs "speedy pop" "speedy freeze" etc.

I wasn't real impressed with Speedway in northern California but it was sure an improvement over the previous operations (Flyers, then Giant but not branded as Giant) which were really terrible.

What is funny is the "Giant but not branded as Giant" is living on with the 200 or so stations Marathon kept in SoCal and did not sell off.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The divesting is going on now and Jacksons is operating various locations around California. They have moved back to either Shell gas or to Chevron gas.

Also I guess Anabi is planning to use the Rebel brand (from Las Vegas) in the locations they are buying. Funny given what a run down lousy c-store chain that is to be growing it. Rebel has a lousy reputation around Las Vegas historically, at least before it was bought by Anabi, and it was well deserved. 76 pulled out of most of Nevada years ago at which point Rebel was a huge 76 dealer (a few other dealers lost the 76 branding too), and in the process of doing so got rid of Rebel. A few years later 76 showed back up and started branding other stations not affiliated with Rebel.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

A couple former Speedway's in the Philly area have switched to Exxon, a brand that has had a relatively weak presence in the market. Another has switched to Marathon, which was also pretty unheard of until recently.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: September 8th, 2021, 9:01 pm A couple former Speedway's in the Philly area have switched to Exxon, a brand that has had a relatively weak presence in the market. Another has switched to Marathon, which was also pretty unheard of until recently.
I think those are divested to Cross America Partners and the c-store will use the Joe's Kwik Mart name.

Cross America is more of a fuel distribution group and historically has not operated stations long term. They have had a number of transactions with Circle K in the past, I think they were once under common ownership. Circle K got Cross America with CST Brands but I don't think there was any integration at all between CST and Cross America.

https://csnews.com/crossamerica-partner ... operations
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Jacksons seems to be taking operations of some of these in NorCal. The site on Auto Center Drive in Antioch which was Speedway, is now back to Shell gasoline and branded Jacksons.

I am surprised Jacksons is not going with Chevron branding and Extra Mile given they basically own Extra Mile... Jacksons probably figured out their c-store concept and brand is better than Extra Mile.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

When many of the Shell gas stations switched to Speedway in the San Francisco Bay Area, the customer count dropped by 90 percent. Shell is a trusted brand. People are willing to pay a little more for the brand name. I used to use only Shell gas because I got a T-Mobile Tuesdays discount. Once Speedway took over, the Shell gas stations near me disappeared.

Speedway tried to compete with slightly lower gas prices, but very few customers trust this gas. In fact, the Shell gas stations are only a little more expensive than Speedway in this area.

Jacksons seems like a much better convenience store. Extra Mile is everywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area and customers are not impressed. In fact, some of the worst Extra Mile stores are right in Chevron's home town of nearby San Ramon. You have never met such disgruntled employees or messy stores. I am surprised that they do not keep the stores to a higher standard.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Speedway is now using blank cups for some of the drinks. They seem to be the same cups as before, but there is no Speedway printing on the cups. Also they had no straws. I was told there is a supply issue. But I am wondering if 7-Eleven is doing this to start diluting the Speedway brand.

I did notice in a Love's truck stop they had signs up stating there was a shortage on cups, straws, and lids at the present time. However they had all of the foam cups, plastic lids, and straws that they ever had, so I am not sure if that sign was there for other reasons or what. They were running a $1 any refill promotion evidently in an attempt to cut down on cup usage.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 12:38 pm Speedway is now using blank cups for some of the drinks. They seem to be the same cups as before, but there is no Speedway printing on the cups. Also they had no straws. I was told there is a supply issue. But I am wondering if 7-Eleven is doing this to start diluting the Speedway brand.

I did notice in a Love's truck stop they had signs up stating there was a shortage on cups, straws, and lids at the present time. However they had all of the foam cups, plastic lids, and straws that they ever had, so I am not sure if that sign was there for other reasons or what. They were running a $1 any refill promotion evidently in an attempt to cut down on cup usage.
Interestingly enough, our Speedway this morning had with their coffee, 12oz, 16oz and 20oz Speedway cups, and something around 24oz. ... Slurpee Cups!

I guess those are made for both cold/hot, but seems a bit odd that they wound up here in this part of NY (as I think we did get one odd store that changed to 7/11 from Sunoco last year in Albany, but beyond that they were never closer than about 1 1/2 hours to where this store is - either into western VT/MA or down towards Poughkeepsie NY).