Kum & Go to enter Utah; 30 stores slated for SLC

storewanderer

Kum & Go to enter Utah; 30 stores slated for SLC

Post by storewanderer »

I am kind of surprised they are attempting to challenge Maverik in Maverik's home market.

I am not sure Kum & Go is "all that." They are quite similar to Maverik in terms of their programs, offerings, having inconsistent execution, and being somewhat overpriced.

Kum & Go where it has been an option is not usually my first choice. I'd go there over a 7-Eleven any day, but that is about it. It may be a slightly difficult comparison as I seem to usually encounter them in Quik Trip territories... in which case there is simply no consideration over where to go- straight to QT.

Other places where I have encountered Kum & Go- seem to also have Casey's. Casey's just seems to execute a little better and their stores seem cleaner (even when older) and bakery items taste better than what I've had from Kum & Go. I also like that many Casey's continue to allow you to pump first then go inside and pay.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Kum & Go to enter Utah; 30 stores slated for SLC

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: May 20th, 2021, 12:41 am I also like that many Casey's continue to allow you to pump first then go inside and pay.
Stewart's Shops (THE dominant operator here) still allows that as well. There can't be many left out there that do .
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

People in Utah are apparently very honest.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 21st, 2021, 3:04 pm People in Utah are apparently very honest.
Pump first then pay for fuel is very common throughout the central US and the upper midwest in the medium sized towns and rural areas. Places right off interstates like the major truck stop chains prohibit it and require prepay 100%, but the convenience store chains once you get away from an offramp typically allow it. Some large cities passed ordinances prohibiting the practice as the police got tired of dealing with drive offs (like Kansas City) but once you get out of the large cities it is still very common.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 12:00 am the police got tired of dealing with drive offs.
Hilarious story about that-across the street from the Post Office where I worked is a Cumberland Farms. It's now pre pay but in the days prior to that, one drive off in particular stands out. When the police asked the clerk for a description, they were told he was dressed up like Santa Claus! Imagine that-Kris Kringle trying to steal gasoline. Never heard if he was eventually apprehended-(probably wasn't worth the bother extraditing him from the North Pole I guess :lol: )
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: May 20th, 2021, 12:41 am I am kind of surprised they are attempting to challenge Maverik in Maverik's home market.
I am kind of surprised anyone would attempt to use that name anywhere :mrgreen:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 6:22 pm

I am kind of surprised anyone would attempt to use that name anywhere :mrgreen:
They are a legitimate operator. And they go all out, or so they used to say. Just not my favorite.

Denver will get ugly with Quik Trip entering so it is possible Kum & Go shifted resources they were planning to use in Denver, to this Utah initiative. Maverik seems to have a very loyal customer base and strong following around Salt Lake City so I think it will be somewhat difficult to draw customers from Maverik. Kum & Go may want to consider Reno too if they are really trying to go after Maverik. I'd say Boise but Boise seems rather saturated.
TempoNick
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by TempoNick »

Kum & Go is okay, but there is nothing special about them. I bought gas at one of their newer stores late at night and bought a chicken wrap from the cooler. It was awful.

I don't think there's anything special about Casey's either, but their Pizza is pretty good. That's there signature item. Otherwise, the rest of the store to me is like everybody else. Actually, I think they have less inventory than everybody else.

My favorite chain however is KwikStar and KwikTrip, not to be confused with QuikTrip. By far the best convenience store chain there is in the entire USA. Clean stores, great baked goods.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

We did a COVID trip last year up to UP Michigan and Wisconsin....KwikStar/Kwik Trip are really nice stores. They're unique in that they have a dairy associated to them so they have the cheapest milk in town, it seems, plus a weekly dairy special (as I recall it was butter $1.88/lb last year) plus a weekly meat special (was Bratwurst).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They are also going to enter Boise. Clearly going after Maverik. Based on my experiences with these two chains, probably a toss up as to which is better.