Costco installing self-checkouts at more locations

mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Costco installing self-checkouts at more locations

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: July 18th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Yet Costco's solution in this San Leandro Store is to close the self checkouts- whether this is going to be for good or maybe they were short staffed receipt checkers or something else remains to be seen but it overall just shows that this self checkout program is not running smoothly at Costco and not running efficiently. This is not like how Costco typically operates. Costco does not waste money deploying unnecessary resources and idle equipment/space in its stores.
It does make me wonder if anyone from corporate observed or gathered any feedback from the stores that had them to start...it should have only taken a day or two to see all the pitfalls.

Lately Costco has been having a lot of 'misses' when it comes to rolling out any kind of new technology. There was a test last year of several locations of using a keychain FOB for the gas station (you know, they same thing Mobil and later Exxon stations used in the later 1990's), but I think that has been killed off. And as I mentioned earlier, they spent $$$ installing optical readers at the pumps but have yet to enable them so digital membership cards still can't be scanned. Inside the buildings, we have automated 'money machines' that basically handle what an accounting office would do in terms of cashiers depositing money and getting change. Our first model (MIMO), would consistently jam up, so late last year, it was replaced with a new model called REVO. It seems to be more reliable, but for some stupid reason, unlike the last model, it isn't electronically linked to the cash registers themselves which means we need to manually input loans and deposits and have tons of itty bitty slips of paper (sometimes a few dozen) everywhere that get turned in at the end of the night...just why would you take a step backwards???
Supposedly at some point in the future we are moving off of the AS-400 system...godknows what kind of mess that will bring.

On the plus side, my 'unauthorized' labels on the SCO's in my store haven't been removed yet and seemed to have reduced the 'where do I scan my card to start?' thing somewhat (of course others just still stare at the machine blindly).