Home Depot & Other Stores Stop Battery Recycling

Alpha8472

Home Depot & Other Stores Stop Battery Recycling

Post by Alpha8472 »

Home Depot used to have a battery recycling bin. Employees said that the recycling company used to pay them for recycled batteries. Now the recycling company demands payment for hauling batteries away. Now the bins are gone.
storewanderer

Re: Home Depot & Other Stores Stop Battery Recycling

Post by storewanderer »

How about Staples or Best Buy?
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: August 8th, 2021, 7:41 pm How about Staples or Best Buy?
Staples is barely a retailer. They are down to only two stores in the Portland market. I think they had around 10 stores during their peak.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:37 pm
Staples is barely a retailer. They are down to only two stores in the Portland market. I think they had around 10 stores during their peak.
There are still two Staples in Reno (not sure how they survive; one is in a not great neighborhood and feels like a ghetto store with no backpacks signs, locked restrooms, and a very aggressive manager). They took an old monitor as I recall off my hands a couple years ago, no fee. I think Best Buy may have wanted a fee. When I took Best Buy an old tube TV I had to pay them $35 or something.

Also it is my understanding Staples is attempting to buy Office Depot, again. That is a shame, as Office Depot is a better store operator. With how poorly Staples operates its stores, taking on Office Depot will only hasten the decline of the format.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:40 pm
babs wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:37 pm
There are still two Staples in Reno (not sure how they survive; one is in a not great neighborhood and feels like a ghetto store with no backpacks signs, locked restrooms, and a very aggressive manager). They took an old monitor as I recall off my hands a couple years ago, no fee. I think Best Buy may have wanted a fee. When I took Best Buy an old tube TV I had to pay them $35 or something.

Also it is my understanding Staples is attempting to buy Office Depot, again. That is a shame, as Office Depot is a better store operator. With how poorly Staples operates its stores, taking on Office Depot will only hasten the decline of the format.

Best Buy in West Los Angeles took in my Epson printer, No Charge.

They also have a program (depending on the item) that pays you $$$ because they can resell it.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Same thing is happening with a lot of recycled material. Where I live, the county used to make a decent amount of money from consumer goods recycling-(plastics, newspaper, etc.) and now they have to pay to have it taken away.
Super S

Post by Super S »

There is a local auto parts store which used to buy used batteries outright, but recently changed to only recycling a battery when purchasing one. No clear explanation is posted but I thought it had to do with a spike in battery thefts.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Apparently these are areas that it isn't required. At least here with NY, places that sell certain items are required to take them back for recycling to avoid them being put into trash.
Super S

Post by Super S »

BillyGr wrote: August 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm Apparently these are areas that it isn't required. At least here with NY, places that sell certain items are required to take them back for recycling to avoid them being put into trash.
As far as automotive batteries go, I think that they are required to take back the same number of used batteries for recycling as they sell only. The parts store I mentioned was also buying batteries for cash, and there are some questionable people that show up with several batteries at a time to return, I have seen them show up when I was in the store as it was closing for the day.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote: August 10th, 2021, 8:52 am
BillyGr wrote: August 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm Apparently these are areas that it isn't required. At least here with NY, places that sell certain items are required to take them back for recycling to avoid them being put into trash.
As far as automotive batteries go, I think that they are required to take back the same number of used batteries for recycling as they sell only. The parts store I mentioned was also buying batteries for cash, and there are some questionable people that show up with several batteries at a time to return, I have seen them show up when I was in the store as it was closing for the day.
I was thinking of rechargeable batteries that places like Home Depot have taken (smaller ones). They generally have containers at the front for those, lightbulbs (florescent anyhow) and bags (like many stores do).

I do know I've seen signs at stores to the effect that rechargeable batteries are illegal to put in the trash now, which is likely why the stores are required to collect them (as they sell items that use them).

I suppose they could limit it to ones they sell, but that would be hard (same as many stores will take back any beverage with deposit even if it is another store's brand - they are only required to do the ones they sell).