Home Improvement Shortages

Alpha8472

Home Improvement Shortages

Post by Alpha8472 »

Sherwin William's says that there is a shortage of paint due to a shortage of raw ingredients. Even Walmart is running low on paint.

There is also a Lumber shortage for home building.
Super S

Re: Home Improvement Shortages

Post by Super S »

Not sure there is as much of a shortage as there are inflated prices on lumber. I had to put off a roof repair due to plywood exceeding $70 per sheet for a while. The same plywood is now down around $30 a sheet. I paid visits to both Home Depot and Lowe's while prices were high and there didn't seem to be a lumber shortage on those visits, they seemed as well stocked as usual.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There is a metal can shortage. Paint is now being sold in plastic containers.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: September 8th, 2021, 3:28 pm Not sure there is as much of a shortage as there are inflated prices on lumber. I had to put off a roof repair due to plywood exceeding $70 per sheet for a while. The same plywood is now down around $30 a sheet. I paid visits to both Home Depot and Lowe's while prices were high and there didn't seem to be a lumber shortage on those visits, they seemed as well stocked as usual.
Lumber shortage is over. Over supply is causing prices to fall. The current shortages are related to the shipping mess out of Asia. Beyond finished products, many raw materials and much of the packaging comes out of Asia. Plus at $25k a container (was $3k before) the financial advantage of making things is fast disappearing.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Lumber prices is down but steel is up as well as shipping and delivery costs.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There are still shortages throughout home improvement product categories. Electrical, tools, etc. Try to complete a major or even medium level project and you are likely to be faced with an out of stock or two that will either put the brakes on your plan entirely or at a minimum delay your plans/cause a change in plans.

Lumber is still having some issues on certain items; the shortage is over generally speaking but it takes time to get the supply chains fully back. Also pricing spiked and is not coming back down as it should be everywhere just yet. Some people are delaying purchasing if they can due to the prices- that is helping things recover from the shortage to some extent.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 18th, 2021, 12:16 pm There is a metal can shortage. Paint is now being sold in plastic containers.
Some had started doing that before - possibly figuring it helped over having old paint containers that rust if you don't use it all immediately?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The new plastic cans are weaker and break easily. The cans rusted, but at least they were sturdy.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 21st, 2021, 9:29 pm The new plastic cans are weaker and break easily. The cans rusted, but at least they were sturdy.
I've been seeing plastic paint cans for a while. I wonder how it impacts shelf life.

At least you don't need a special tool to open the can.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

I've heard that aluminum just had a price spike due to political problems in Guinea in Africa...at the bauxite mines. Sucks because we were going to purchase some fencing :(