Diamond Shamrock making a return?

Super S

Re: Diamond Shamrock making a return?

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: November 17th, 2021, 10:30 pm https://www.valero.com/refining/fuels/branded-valero

They seem to be acknowledging the brand at the above link.

Also odd to see the Beacon logo red. Beacon's current (for the past 25 years) color scheme is blue and white to be in synch with Ultramar.

Beacon used a red and orange color scheme in the old days though.

There is something with Diamond Shamrock in NM. A few years ago driving from Phoenix to Las Cruces to El Paso, I came across quite a few Diamond Shamrock sites. About half of them were former Corner Stores that had been sold to Circle K so I suspect they no longer have that branding.

Noticed the same thing around Denver not long after that- surprising number of Diamond Shamrock sites. But same situation, they had all been sold to Circle K.

I am surprised Valero has the size of a retail network they claim to have. I have observed a lot of station turnover with that brand.

Also notice Valero website how has a strange disclaimer with regards to "Top Tier" fuel. I wonder if that whole "Top Tier" thing is falling apart in general. So many people buy fuel from chains that have thousands of locations and not with that designation.
"*IMPORTANT NOTE: As a result of severe supply chain constraints in the gasoline detergent additive industry, at many product terminals throughout the United States, Valero may be unable to deliver gasoline that contains detergent additive at a dosage higher than that required by EPA regulations. Until further notice, gasoline supplied by Valero to retail motor fuel stations bearing one of the Valero brands may not contain enough additive to meet the TOP TIER™ standards. For more information about this industry-wide additive shortage, please visit https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/."
I noticed that Fred Meyer/Kroger as well as Safeway are not on that list. Those are two prominent chains in my area with lots of stations. I also know that quality has been hit or miss with those brands, at least locally. As vehicles move away from having serviceable fuel filters I am not taking a chance.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I'm pretty sure that Kroger Cos., Albertsons Cos. and Walmart never had Top Tier.

:?:
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I've never seen the Top Tier designation on any store branded fuel station besides Costco.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: November 18th, 2021, 9:04 am I've never seen the Top Tier designation on any store branded fuel station besides Costco.
Meijer has it.
Carbon87
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by Carbon87 »

Apparently there is one in Three Rivers, TX that just converted from Shell, too. Same new graphics package.
Attachments
A92B551A-A2D3-42DE-8914-2CB12D1ED3A7.jpeg
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Carbon87 wrote: December 13th, 2021, 6:51 pm Apparently there is one in Three Rivers, TX that just converted from Shell, too. Same new graphics package.
Looks pretty similar to the old imaging.

Will be interesting to see if the name pops up on any new build stations.
Carbon87
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by Carbon87 »

storewanderer wrote: December 13th, 2021, 11:14 pm
Carbon87 wrote: December 13th, 2021, 6:51 pm Apparently there is one in Three Rivers, TX that just converted from Shell, too. Same new graphics package.
Looks pretty similar to the old imaging.

Will be interesting to see if the name pops up on any new build stations.
Kinda sorta. Whole new font, new pump toppers, new pricing boards, that kind of stuff. Lot cleaner IMO. Good direction if they’re gonna promote the brand.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

What brand you sell is often determined by how much gas you sell. Brands like Shell and Chevron prefer places that sell a lot of gas. I imagine Diamond Shamrock and Shamrock are brands offered by Valero to stations with lower sales volume.
Carbon87
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by Carbon87 »

Found a photo of the Raton, NM location finally.
Attachments
648AE9FA-0896-4A4C-8CC8-7C371FED0762.jpeg
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

The colors have been altered with shading to make it look more 3D, other than that it's about the same. Is it used as a budget brand? I've seen old Valero stations (NEVER new stores, not even former DS sites) with "Valero Discount Fleet" signs.