Ultimate Electronics To Close All Stores

graphichris
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Ultimate Electronics To Close All Stores

Post by graphichris »

Ultimate Electronics, which operates 46 home-entertainment/consumer electronics stores in 14 states, has decided to close all of its stores. 10 of those stores opened just last year, including a new 3-month-old, Tigard, Oregon location.

After filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on January 26, 2011, Ultimate decided to wind-down their business after being unable to secure debtor-in-possession financing on reasonable terms.

It is expected that the stores will be closed by April, after the "going out of business" sales have been concluded.

-graphichris
Alpha8472

Re: Ultimate Electronics To Close All Stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have never been to an Ultimate Electronics store. However, the photos on the internet of their stores remind me of Best Buy stores. The blue and yellow seem really loud and the storefronts seem really huge and monumental.

Of course we know what this means. Best Buy will have less competition and will continue with their awful prices and terrible customer service. Without competition, Best Buy can do a terrible job and people will have few other stores to buy electronics. Yes, I know that Target and Walmart sell electronics, but their selection is small. Best Buy is a purely electronics store that offers a wider selection of electronics.

Of course people can find cheaper prices on the internet, but the fact still remains that many people want to see the goods in real life. People want to see and touch the items before they commit to buying it.

The liquidation sales will be rip-offs. We all know that they raise their prices and then slap on 30% off stickers. It's 30% off of some higher price that they just made up.
tesg
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Ultimate Electronics To Close All Stores

Post by tesg »

I know they've reformatted quite a bit since the last time I was in one, but there was NO comparison to Best Buy with their stores ten years ago.

Ultimate carried higher end brands and models (mid-range stuff like Denon, Boston Acoustics, etc. They had the most extensive line of Sennheiser headphones I'd seen in one place). You were greeted and often offered a bottled water when you walked in. Their people seemed to actually know what they were talking about.

Our local stores closed in the last bankruptcy, so I haven't kept up on them since. I'm still using stuff I bought there, though.