Recession be damned! Systemax opens 30 CompUSA stores

submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Recession be damned! Systemax opens 30 CompUSA stores

Post by submariner »

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/04/c ... ck-fr.html

In addition to the 16 stores that survived CompUSA's bankruptcy and eventual sale to Systemax (who also runs TigerDirect.com), Systemax has opened 30 "all new" CompUSA stores.

The new stores feature inventory tied into TigerDirect, with lower prices to match. The customer experience has also improved, where customers are invited to "press any key on the keyboard" on the display computers where they can surf the net, compare products, or even shop online.
Alpha8472

Re: Recession be damned! Systemax opens 30 CompUSA stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

I had already noticed the new CompUSA website over a year ago. They used to have photos of each of the new CompUSA stores to prove that the CompUSA name was not dead.

These new stores seem to be run very differently from the original CompUSA stores. However, a lot of people still despise the CompUSA name. They would have done better if they had used an entirely different name. CompUSA is a name that I still hate and I associate it with awful customer service.

I wonder if Tigerdirect bought the Good Guys! and Computer City names. These were two chains that CompUSA bought years ago. Good Guys! was ok. Computer City was also an ok place, even though it was small. The Computer City in Pleasant Hill, California was transformed into a Smart and Final. The land was the former site of an Albertsons-Payless combo store.