Best Buy closing stores

Super S

Best Buy closing stores

Post by Super S »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_162- ... -closings/

No list available yet. I hope this doesn't mean that Best Buy will eventually fold, as there are markets where they are the only major store of their kind left. Online electronics sales have taken away from their business, but I personally like to physically look at stuff like that before I buy, and I know that there are others that feel that way also.
Alpha8472

Re: Best Buy closing stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

Best Buy has gone downhill over the years. They were once competitive to a point. They used to match other stores' prices. However, after CompUSA and Circuit City closed, there was no reason to match prices.

There is a chain of electronics stores called Fry's Electronics that is actually doing quite well these days. They will match any competitor's price including online prices. Their warehouse style stores are much bigger than Best Buy and have a huge selection of products. Generally, Fry's prices are very good and of course they will match any price. I shop at Fry's and I have used the price match guarantee many times and I have gotten many good deals this way.

I think that Best Buy is a greedy corporate chain that is not putting customer service first. Their prices are not the lowest, and they won't price match. Their employees are treated poorly and it shows. Their employees have little incentive to provide good customer service.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am not surprised. Why buy at this store? Pricing isn't great, selection isn't great, service can be good but it is all over the radar, return policies have caused them to burn bridges with many customers...

I went in looking for a laptop battery a month ago and was told they did not have it and the guy continued "we actually only have the battery for..." and it was ONE model of some laptop. I asked him if I could order one (as the item I needed was on the Best Buy website) and he suggested I go to Batteries Plus or some other place in town.

I have also noticed in a number of shopping malls Best Buy is opening new cell phone stores. Most malls already have multiple parties reselling various cell phones so I don't really see how this makes sense. I'm sure they have data or something showing these places are making money and a decent return or they would not be expanding them at the clip they are, but, my limited view of these mall cell phone stores operated by Best Buy is they are void of customers and generally have higher prices on cell phones than other places in the malls.
bm10k

Post by bm10k »

http://www.startribune.com/business/144875875.html

Apparently Best Buy is closing 5 Stores in their own Backyard in the Twin Cities and Laying off 100 people
mostly Geek Squad and Blue Shirts