IKEA Gets Rid Of Self-Checkouts

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: IKEA Gets Rid Of Self-Checkouts

Post by Brian Lutz »

I doubt it. It took me twice as long as usual to get through the checkout lines, and this was at a slow time. I'll take a self checkout anyday.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Digging up a really old thread here, but it looks like self checkouts are coming back at IKEA. This past weekend, I saw that new self checkouts have been installed in the Seattle (Renton) IKEA store. This was my first visit to the store since the Covid shutdowns so I don't know exactly when this happened, but it appears that new POS systems (or at least new Pinpads) had recently been installed, which included adding self checkout lanes.. This particular store (which was built about five years ago to replace the old Seattle IKEA store in a converted warehouse) has never had self checkouts, so these would be new equipment.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Ikea's removal of the NCR Self Checkout equipment they had previously in the US seemed to be more of an issue with how their software interfaced with NCR's software than anything else. Foreign Ikeas never got rid of self checkout in the first place. Glad to see the US Ikea has figured out a way to bring it back.