Value Village closing some stores

Super S

Value Village closing some stores

Post by Super S »

Over the past few weeks, I have done a bit of driving around the Northwest, and noticed that Value Village has closed a few locations, one near Gladstone/Oregon City, Oregon, one near Tacoma, WA, and another (which I read about today) in Bremerton, WA. I was just curious if this was due to poor sales or if there were lease issues. It seems rather odd that thrift stores would close in the current economy.
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Value Village closing some stores

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote:Over the past few weeks, I have done a bit of driving around the Northwest, and noticed that Value Village has closed a few locations, one near Gladstone/Oregon City, Oregon, one near Tacoma, WA, and another (which I read about today) in Bremerton, WA. I was just curious if this was due to poor sales or if there were lease issues. It seems rather odd that thrift stores would close in the current economy.
The Gladstone store you mention began life in 1970 as a Homart store. Homart, if I explain this rightly, later was renamed Pay 'n Pak, and thus this store was rebranded as such by 1973.

~Ben
Super S

Post by Super S »

It looks like rent increases may be to blame. Another longtime Value Village in Portland, on 82nd Ave. is closing today:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... nue_c.html
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

StoreLiker2006 wrote:
Super S wrote:Over the past few weeks, I have done a bit of driving around the Northwest, and noticed that Value Village has closed a few locations, one near Gladstone/Oregon City, Oregon, one near Tacoma, WA, and another (which I read about today) in Bremerton, WA. I was just curious if this was due to poor sales or if there were lease issues. It seems rather odd that thrift stores would close in the current economy.
The Gladstone store you mention began life in 1970 as a Homart store. Homart, if I explain this rightly, later was renamed Pay 'n Pak, and thus this store was rebranded as such by 1973.
~Ben
Was that part of the Sears family? I know they had a company named Homart, which was (at least from what I had read) primarily the development company (they built stores/centers/malls, for Sears and others).
Super S

Post by Super S »

The store in Vancouver, WA is now closing as well:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/nov/ ... ashington/

This leaves one location in the Portland area, in Tigard.

As far as I know, none of the closed locations previously mentioned in this thread have reopened elsewhere.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Super S wrote:The store in Vancouver, WA is now closing as well:

As far as I know, none of the closed locations previously mentioned in this thread have reopened elsewhere.
Since the article said that some landlords are not going to allow thrift stores, I wonder if that is why they cannot move down the road to the 4th Plain former Albertsons, for example. There is a lot of vacant retail in Vancouver.
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote:
Super S wrote:The store in Vancouver, WA is now closing as well:

Since the article said that some landlords are not going to allow thrift stores, I wonder if that is why they cannot move down the road to the 4th Plain former Albertsons, for example. There is a lot of vacant retail in Vancouver.
In the same strip mall as that 4th Plain Albertsons already exists a Humane Society thrift store, in a space previously occupied by Bird Boys and a True Value store. The Albertsons is actually now an indoor trampoline park. But there are other sites that would be suitable The former Albertsons on Padden Parkway and the recently closed former Safeway in Orchards come to mind. I have to wonder though why property owners would rather keep a space vacant for years instead of allowing a thrift store...at least SOME rent income would be coming in.

But I also have to wonder if Value Village/Savers is really interested in reopening any of them when two stores have already closed with no replacement, and this one does not have a new location planned.