ARCO, AM/PM closings

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
Super S

ARCO, AM/PM closings

Post by Super S »

I have noticed several AM/PM locations have been changing hands over the past year in my area. Yesterday, I noticed two AM/PM locations in Vancouver, WA that have changed into another brand, and another near I-205 and Mill Plain (in a VERY high traffic area) that has just closed altogether. Also, one in Longview, WA has been closed for a couple years now.

Oddly enough, I heard a commercial on a Portland radio station yesterday that BP is seeking new franchisees for ARCO/AM/PM in the area, but it seems like a higher number than average changing hands and/or closing. For what it's worth, the BP brand of gas station was phased out in the Northwest about ten years ago.

I am just curious if it's the franchise operators deciding to close, or if BP is shutting them down.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: ARCO, AM/PM closings

Post by Brian Lutz »

I have seen at least a couple of ARCO stations close over the past couple of years up here. One in Redmond (an older one) closed temporarily for a while, then came back (complete with some minor remodeling,) then eventually closed again. Another older one in Kirkland closed down, sat empty for several years, then eventually got torn down and replaced by a Taco Time. A third one in the Totem Lake neighborhood of Kirkland closed down sometime last year with a "New brand coming soon" sign on it, but as far as I can tell it's basically abandoned at this point.

BP used to have a fairly significant presence in this area, but eventually they pulled the brand out of the market. Back when it happened, I believe most of the BP stations changed to 76 (which had a relatively small presence in the area at the time.)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Tesoro now owns the Arco brand. However, BP is licensing the brand from them in NorCal (Modesto and north), Oregon, and Washington.

I have seen numerous Arco Stations change brands in NorCal (mostly to Valero or unbranded).

Up here in Reno area we have had a few Arcos that closed for a while and all but one of them reopened as Arco. We also had a Chevron station close and reopen as Arco a year or two ago, the first actual "new" Arco in Reno area in well over a decade.

Around Seattle a couple years ago I noticed what looked like some new Arco brandings in suburbs of former 76 and Shell stations.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

storewanderer wrote:Tesoro now owns the Arco brand. However, BP is licensing the brand from them in NorCal (Modesto and north), Oregon, and Washington.
That would explain why a new Arco built by me in Santa Ana CA late last year has the BP design canopy, but lacks the "a part of BP" panel on the street sign.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote:Tesoro now owns the Arco brand. However, BP is licensing the brand from them in NorCal (Modesto and north), Oregon, and Washington.

I have seen numerous Arco Stations change brands in NorCal (mostly to Valero or unbranded).

Up here in Reno area we have had a few Arcos that closed for a while and all but one of them reopened as Arco. We also had a Chevron station close and reopen as Arco a year or two ago, the first actual "new" Arco in Reno area in well over a decade.

Around Seattle a couple years ago I noticed what looked like some new Arco brandings in suburbs of former 76 and Shell stations.
Ironically enough, the relatively small number of Tesoro branded stations where I live have removed ALL of their signage and are unbranded stations now. I did not know they had control of the ARCO brand now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Tesoro also just picked up the rights to use the Exxon and Mobil brands in NorCal, Western Washington, NV, MN, ND, and SD. Basically, all of the markets where Tesoro does not have the rights to use the Shell brand and has refineries.

I think the Tesoro brand is being moved to Eastern Washington and Alaska.

Also their Mirastars have converted to that USA brand...
submariner

Post by submariner »

storewanderer wrote: Also their Mirastars have converted to that USA brand...
I've seen a number of Thrifty stations rebranded as USA as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Tesoro assumed the leases of the Thrifty Oil (some had been rebranded as Arco, some still Thrifty) Stations in 2012 and took them over at the rate of a few a week around this time last year for a number of months. This transaction was different from the transaction where they bought Arco outright from BP and was a transaction between Tesoro and the landlord of Thrifty Oil. BP simply did not renew its lease for the sites.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

ARCO lost significant business due to the BP scandal. People saw the BP symbol and many boycotted BP due to the oil platform disaster and environmental disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. Photos of helpless birds, dolphins, and cute sea animals stuck in oil really shocked the nation. The anger has died down somewhat since then, but many people still avoid BP and refuse to give any money to them by patronizing BP gas. The environmental disaster made BP a focus of corporate hate. ARCO never really recovered from that.

The sale of ARCO to Tesoro might bring back some customers. However, there is still a misconception that ARCO is still part of BP. Most customers don't pay attention to the latest news on who owns a particular brand of gas station.

ARCO locations have some of the lowest gas prices around especially in many parts of California. They should really focus on being the low price leader and try to win back customers under Tesoro's new ownership.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Even without BP factored in, a lot of "car guys" won't go near an ARCO station anyway, mostly because their product is perceived to be low quality, and ultimately bad for your engine. Considering the fact that it's rarely more than 10-20 cents cheaper than the other brands, the cost savings aren't really that significant anyway.