ConocoPhillips now Phillips 66 Company for consumer brands?

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

ConocoPhillips now Phillips 66 Company for consumer brands?

Post by submariner »

This is an odd move. I drove past a couple 76 stations today and noticed they had removed any mention of "ConocoPhillips" from sight. Looking online, the 76 Website now says its part of the "Phillips 66 Company" instead of ConocoPhillips... and the ConocoPhillips site has no mention of the consumer brands at all, just it's drilling and energy interests.

Has anyone read into this, why CP would break up the branding like this? My only speculation is that it's a move to be more separated from it's Conoco, 76, Phillips 66, Jet, and Kendall consumer brands, similar to ExxonMobil and Royal Dutch Shell from their respective consumer brands.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: ConocoPhillips now Phillips 66 Company for consumer bran

Post by marshd1000 »

It looks like this actually took place in 2012. But I too have noticed the ConocoPhillips name taken off of the 76 stations and it was replaced with a sign about "Top Tier" gas. But looking at the corporate Phillips 66 website, I found that the retail has been turned into a separate company. Here is the link to that announcement:

http://www.phillips66.com/EN/newsroom/n ... -2012.aspx
submariner

Post by submariner »

So they're two completely independent companies, but ConocoPhillips still retains its name. Nope. not confusing at all. :?

I suppose this gives CP the flexibility to rebrand with our affecting the consumer brands. It'd be nice if the brands went back to their unique styles & logo colors (the orange 76 logo and the black canopies for Phillips 66).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I noticed those signs in SoCal a few weeks ago. I was at first not sure what they were covering. Then after a day of driving around I realized what the signs were covering.

The other "covered" object in SoCal was the "part of BP" on Arco signs. Those got covered up here in Reno within the past week.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The removal of ConocoPhillips from the various 76 station signs around here has only started to happen fairly recently. A couple of them over here have replaced them with some sort of generic looking "Top Tier Detergent Gasoline" sign, others have used various other things.

I would assume that Conoco stations are doing the same thing, although I don't think there are any of those west of the Cascades in WA.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There is an oddly placed Conoco in Brookings, OR. I wonder if there is one sitting in some remote part of WA closer to the ocean...
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

storewanderer wrote:There is an oddly placed Conoco in Brookings, OR. I wonder if there is one sitting in some remote part of WA closer to the ocean...
I just looked on the Conoco site and went to their "station finder". When I entered Brookings, OR, it came up as a 76 station. So I am wondering if you recently saw this station? If so, I am wondering if it was a rebrand from 76 and not updated in their system yet? Or the other way around where it more recently a Conoco and just rebranded to being a 76? I personally have never seen a Conoco on the west side of the Cascades in Washington. Especially near the ocean.